• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I lost my driver side mirror!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fahd

What is the name of your state? VA

So while coming back from court, a truck side-swiped me on I-95 N and took out my driver side mirror. The truck didn't stop and so I didn't stop either. Should I have reported this? Should I report it now? The only damage was to my mirror which is completely shattered.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you have any information on the vehicle that hit you?
If not, then what's the use of reporting it?

ecmst12

Report it to who? Unless you got the tag number, you have roughly 0 chance of identifying the guy, and the repair is probably less then your deductible even if you have collision coverage. Might as well just pay for it yourself.

Fahd

Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was any law that you had to report all accidents/scrapes.

xylene

Xylene - what is the statutory requirement?
I believe, that given the facts and situation there is no requirement. The form is for voluntary reporting.

However no disadvantage arises from doing so, and of course it would be darn prudent if (when) the poster realizes that insurance might be good to call.

Also it would be an extreme outside possibility that the truck driver is later identified, but the poster would have no basis and get nothing without having filed.

That mirror will be more than a few dimes to restore to pre accident condition.

Unless the posters car is an old jalopy you can't just stick a mirror on the side of the car.

Doing something is also a way to put a crappy experience behind you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe, that given the facts and situation there is no requirement. The form is for voluntary reporting.

However no disadvantage arises from doing so, and of course it would be darn prudent if (when) the poster realizes that insurance might be good to call.

Also it would be an extreme outside possibility that the truck driver is later identified, but the poster would have no basis and get nothing without having filed.

That mirror will be more than a few dimes to restore to pre accident condition.

Unless the posters car is an old jalopy you can't just stick a mirror on the side of the car.

Doing something is also a way to put a crappy experience behind you.
Fair Enough :)

ecmst12

He put it behind him by driving away from the scene. I see no practical reason to report it, unless maybe the damage turns out to be enough to get insurance involved.

xylene

There was absolutely no requirement for the driver of a non-injury accident to remain on or preserve the scene of a non-injury accident. :rolleyes:

The two drivers should have stopped at a safe location and exchange information, etc...

The truck driver did not however, and this is an infraction.

In fact if they had blocked the highway by stopping they could have been cited. VA requires drivers of non-injury accidents to clear travel lanes.

Indiana Filer

If the mirror turns out to be kind of expensive, check at junk yards to see if you can get a replacement mirror for a lower cost. You might have to take the mirror off the car at the junkyard, but it's usually easy to do with a screwdriver. You'll definitely have to install it on your car, if you go this route.

You can usually google to find out how to remove and replace a mirror, or you can go to the library to check out the Chilton guide for you make and model.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">