• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i need help, dont know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mrkooltint

hi, im from california
i got into a car accident w/ my car at 10.19.99
i had a mechanical problem with my cotter pin in my lower control arm of my left suspension. it caused me to spin out, losing control, and splitting my left axle into pieces. i spun to my side and was hit on the passenger side by a toyota truck. he was hit on the left front part of his car. the impact was about 25-30mph. the passenger got out, feeling fine. the driver got out ok as well, stretching and flexing his back with ease. the police came 10mins later, offering for tow help and to file a report. i declined stating that i wanted to deal with this situation outside of insurance. the officer asked if i had insurance, 'and i said yes, but left documentation at home'.i never had insurance. I gave my phone number to the driver i was involved w/ the accident. i told him to page me when he gets a estimate on his car. he soon acknowleged and we were off my separate ways. wihtin 3 days, i sold my car and everything in it to pay him off. the next day i was ready to give him the money, instead, i received a letter from his lawyer, filing a lawsuit against me and asking me if i had insurance. i never responded ever since so him and his lawyer decided to sue his own insurance for the money. his insurance company got in contact w/ me once and asked me what had happened. i had told them the truth and that was that.
3.3.01. i had received a letter from his insurance company. it reads like this...
XXXXXX XXXXXX insurance company
name insured:XXXXX
claim number:XXXXX
date of loss:eek:ctober 19,1999
amount due:$13,000.00

we sent u a demand for payment regarding an accident that occured on october 19,1999. to date, we still have not heard fom you.

please be reminded that we have given you enough time to send payment or respond to our correspondence. if we do not hear from you in the next 30days, we will be considered to send this file to collections. when this file is sent to collections and you still do not pay, you license may be suspended, your wages garnished and a lien will be attached to any property you may have.

if u want to discuss a payment plan, call me.

they never told me anything about this payment until this letter. i never once knew the amount, nor asked for a correspondence. i was given advice to file bankruptcy, or to prove the person they insured was not injured. i am a college student w/ absolutely no money. what am i to do?

D

dj1

Why do you into these messes, because you are a really really DUMB college student, and have no business wasting you life there...GET 2 jobs and start paying the bill...

YOU drove without insurance, you made NO attempt to settle the claim, you made NO attemept to get a lawyer who could have saved you money, you made NO attempt to see if the person was really injured or the car had that much damage.

And by selling your car..how did you know you ciould have had a DEFECT from the company or the repair shop which may have paid your bills..

SO MR KOOL hot do you feel now, like a real idiot.

So be a MAN quit wasting your life in college...and pay your bills.

M

mrkooltint

When Replying to a message, please be considerate, respectful and polite.
Remember, there is a human being on the other side of that computer screen

havent u read that at all? man, grow up!
if u do not anything helpful to say, do not say it at all

D

dj1

NO my parents taught me to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

SO I DID.......now why are you such and angry boy?

Because you aint got lick of sense, and now youre screwed and you want someone to help you... to screw them out of the money they LEGALLY got a judgement against you?

Like everyone said you should contacted a lawyer long long long ago.

So DROP OUT of college (use your tution to pay the judgement)get 2 jobs,learn how to ride a bike, learn the bus routes,and move so you are close to public transportation.

Driving without insurance is NOT KOOL!

O

o SpAcExGirL o

gawd.. truth huh? how bout some courtesy. Yeah it's good to tell the truth straight up but don't gotta be so blunt. This forum is for ADVICE not critism! Baggin on people in a bind are just gonna make them feel worse and more frustrated. Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have both parents to advise and support you. People do make huge mistakes because it comes from inexperience.
K here's my reply:
Yeah, the accident was your fault. You should have done a lot of things to make this situation better, including avoiding driving at all if you do not have any insurance at the time. But what's done is done and there's nothing you can do about the past. I've talked to my law teacher about this situation and this is what I suggest:
#1 Contact the insurance company and work out something that is affordable for you to pay or you'll do a #3 and they won't see any $$ at all.
or #2 Contact a lawyer and then contact the insurance company to work something out
#3 is the very very last resort. I've known a couple people who have done this, but i don't recommend it. File personal bankrupcy. heheh.. but that's gonna ruin your future credit.
and about college: higher education is always good. You wanna be working 2 minimum wage jobs and be a bum the rest of ur life? Keep up the good work. Glad u always have insurance now =)

D

dj1

Sorry if i oooooffend, but driving without insurance, can be deadly expensive as this yo yo found out.

And not having renters insurance can be very expensive when you lose everything you own and the landlords insurance does NOT cover any of the tenants belongings!

There are things YOU HAVE to allot money for... PERIOD!

So give up drinking smoking doing drugs Eating out,(learn how to cook!) and you will have the $$$ to protect yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">