• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was rear-ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donkort

Hi there,

This is a "side-question" related to a previous post

I wanted to find out if my insurance premium will increase if:

1. The person who rear-ended me files a claim with my insurance company, without myself filing a claim for my own damages. I fixed my own car myself, since the damage done was below my deductible. He did not shop around for an estimate, settling for $1000 for relatively minor damage to his front bumper.

2. My wife, 2 weeks ago, had a car flooded-out, thus causing a "total loss" and a $9000 payment.

3. My wife, 7 months ago, got into an accident which was deemed 60% her fault. The insurance company had to dole out a total of about $5000 for the repairs, towing costs, and car rental reimbursement.

Thanks for any info

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your deductible shouldn't come into play if you were rear ended, since it's clearly the other party's fault. You might have to wait to get it back, but you should get it back.

I hope you at least reported the accident to your insurance company.

justalayman

1. The person who rear-ended me files a claim with my insurance company, without myself filing a claim for my own damages. I fixed my own car myself, since the damage done was below my deductible. He did not shop around for an estimate, settling for $1000 for relatively minor damage to his front bumper.
It's up to your insurance company but if you are charged with the accident (considered to be at fault), most likely, yes.

2. My wife, 2 weeks ago, had a car flooded-out, thus causing a "total loss" and a $9000 payment.
how was it flooded out?

3. My wife, 7 months ago, got into an accident which was deemed 60% her fault. The insurance company had to dole out a total of about $5000 for the repairs, towing costs, and car rental reimbursement.
see answer to #1

It's not so much how much the insurance company has to pay out but if you are at fault or not.

donkort

I had the accident September 5th. I haven't reported it to the insurance company yet. I'm worried it might count as another "claim"--3 claims in the past 7 months.

There was torrential rain, and there was a puddle-lake under a highway overpass. She misjudged how deep the puddle-lake was. She got the $9000 without any questions or problems.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your insurance company is probably going to be upset that they have to find out about the accident from the other party and not their own insured. It also might lead them to think you are hiding something by not reporting it.

Reporting an accident is not filing a claim, although you should have filed a claim since it wasn't your fault.

ecmst12

You were rear ended. It is 100% the other guy's fault. Your premium should not be affected by an accident that was not your fault.

Comprehensive claims also cannot affect your premium as they are no-fault claims.

Your wife's at-fault accident has most likely already incurred any surcharge it might carry, if you renew every 6 months. If you haven't renewed yet, you'll find out when you do. Do you have accident forgiveness?

donkort

There is no accident-forgiveness with my policy. We incurred a $150 surcharge upon our next renewal.

I'm just worried that 3 claims within 7 months makes us a greater risk to insure--2 large claims at that. I doubt it that the flood claim was considered her fault.

If I reported this, this would be my first reported accident in 12 years of driving, if that matters.

Last edited:

ecmst12

The people you REALLY need to report the accident to is the insurance for the idiot who hit you. Why would you pay for damage someone else is at fault for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">