• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I stopped for a school bus.........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Harpofan

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
January 10 I was going to work and stopped for a school bus. The bus was in the right lane and I was in the left lane and she had her stop sign out. A commercial truck rear ended me going probably about 50 mph. He actually got out of his truck and told me how I wasn't supposed to stop for the bus. Needless to say he was charged. I went to the ER. I had a bad case of whiplash. I am suffering from Post Concussion syndrome. I have terrible ringing in my ears and dizzyness and I lack concentration. I haven't been able to work since. I'm single. I have a mortgage, I am out of money. I have paid for the last three doctor's visits and I'm supposed to see a neurologist but I can't afford to pay for it. It's $150 to $250 for the first visit. I really need to go. The other guys insurance company won't reimburse me for anything until Im done going to the doctors. I can't go because I can't pay out of pocket anymore. I can't work. What the hell am I supposed to do? Do I get to lose my house and have my credit destroyed due to some neglegent jackass?

teflon_jones

First of all, sorry to hear about your accident. The other guy was totally at fault, regardless of whether you lawfully had to stop for the school bus or not. He rear-ended you, plain and simple.

Go see the neurologist now and worry about the bills later. Do not let your health suffer. Have you submitted this to your insurance company? You can get a check faster from them, and they'll deal with the other insurance company and get the money from them. This is one of the things you pay for when you pay an insurance premium, so use it! Call them today! You don't need to contact a 3rd party lawyer since your insurance company will have one to take care of this. You only need to get a 3rd party lawyer if your damages are above and beyond the truck driver's insurance coverage.

Harpofan

Thanks for the reply. I just called my insurance broker and he spoke to the other companies adjuster. He didn't get anywhere with them and because they have given me a check to get my car fixed MY insurance won't get involved. They figure that they have admitted fault and have started to pay so they don't need to get involved. As far as going to the neurologist goes, I have to pay up front. Nobody wants to just bill me. I'm feeling really screwed right now. :(

A personal injury attorney would know how to direct you and would also know of doctors (neurologists, etc.) that would see you and wait for their payment for when the insurance company pays you. The attorney would also know if the doctors are doing the right thing by you and not overtreating, undertreating, or just plain treating the wrong things...

Please at least make an appointment for a consultation with an attorney. Most PI attorneys will do initial consultations for free and you can get alot of help and information that way.

Lynx 36

lovemygirls2 said:
A personal injury attorney would know how to direct you and would also know of doctors (neurologists, etc.) that would see you and wait for their payment for when the insurance company pays you. The attorney would also know if the doctors are doing the right thing by you and not overtreating, undertreating, or just plain treating the wrong things...
I can assure you that a PI atty will never fault a doctor f/ overtreating, chiros do it all the time. More meds=more money sometimes.

Harpofan

Getting a PI attorney

I'm in South Carolina

Ok, so I'm going to get an attorney. Any advice on what exactly I should look for in an attorney? I'm in a resort town where nobody knows how to drive here so there are a ton of PI lawyers. Also, I signed a form to release my medical records to the insurance company. Was that a big mistake? I don't think my doctor has done it yet so I may be able to stop it.

Y

ylen13

The best advice I can give is ask around. Ask you friends, coworkers etc for recommendation who they use.

Lynx 36

Harpofan said:
I'm in South Carolina

Ok, so I'm going to get an attorney. Any advice on what exactly I should look for in an attorney? I'm in a resort town where nobody knows how to drive here so there are a ton of PI lawyers. Also, I signed a form to release my medical records to the insurance company. Was that a big mistake? I don't think my doctor has done it yet so I may be able to stop it.
It wasn't a mistake to release your meds. The insurance co. will have to see them before settling no matter if you have a lawyer or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">