• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I took my sons car away, need insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AugustaBob

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have taken my sons car away, maybe 1 month or 6 months. He is 17 1/2. If we cancel his insurance, he won't drive any other vehicle.
1-Do we have to cancel his drivers lic?
2-What process might be required to get everything started back?
3-Are there special cost involved?

rmet4nzkx

WOW!!!
A parent who means it.
Well, when you take away the car, make sure it isn't available in any way shape or form, store it somewhere else, sell it, disable the ignition.
Don't cancel the insurance, it will be easier to start again that way he'll be covered if he drives without your knowledge so you won't be held liable for damages should he have an accident, you don't have to tell him this. As to the license, you could simply confiscate it and return it later, or you could contact the DMV and ask them to suspend it until he is 18, when you don't have to sign for it, that could raise his rates.

What did the little darlin do? :rolleyes:

teflon_jones

Unless the car has very little value, I'd maintain the insurance on it even if it's not being driven in case something happens to the car while it's parked (tree falling on it, uninsured driving hitting it, etc.). If he still has a license, and is living under your roof, then he needs to be on your insurance too, regardless of whether his car has a separate policy.

AugustaBob

Sons insurance

I still want the car covered just for me and 1 other son. I just want to save that 125 a month for a month or 2. I already have his Drivers License, I know he won't drive until I say so.
Is the DMV automatically notified when coverage is cancelled? Will he need to refile a SR-22? or something?
I will probable get over the whole deal in a couple of weeks anyway, I just wanted to know my options.
Thanks,
Robert ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">