• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i was an unauthorized driver in a rental car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geyser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

i was recently in a car accident with a rental car. i was unauthorized and did not know it was a rental car at the time i was driving it.

though it was a small accident, the car damage is pretty major - the front left wheel is turned left while the front right wheel is turned right. i was making a right turn in a turning lane and a taxi driver was in the straight only lane to my left, he decided to make a right turn and hit my car in the process. i was not in the wrong, with pictures, police incident report and all.

my only problem is, the person who originally rented the car isn't taking responsibility and hasn't reported it. im afraid this accident (damage costs) and all will come back to me since i was driving it. the rental company was budget.

please let me know. will i be responsible for the charges? im thinking it would be person who rented the car but is there any small way it can come back to me? should i report it myself? its been a few days and noone has contacted me including the taxi driver.

cyjeff

There is a very large way it could come back to you.

How did you come into possession of the car? Do you have auto insurance?

ecmst12

Whose fault was the accident? The other car is a taxi? In my experience, taxi drivers are TERRIBLE and almost always at fault for accidents they are involved in (my company provides collision coverage for a large taxi company so I deal with a LOT of taxi accidents).

geyser

i dont have car insurance..

and the accident was not my fault. i have pictures of the night to prove it. i was at a party and the ppl who had the car couldnt drive home and i was the only one who was sober to. i didnt know it was a rental car until the accident happened and the police officer asked for registration. the person who rented the car wasnt even in the car. apparently, the person who rented the car, rented it for someone and then it got trickled down to me who was the sober one. i dont understand why this person isnt taking any responsibility by not reporting it so im wondering if i should do it first since i was driving.

ecmst12

She'll have to report it when she returns the rental. With luck, the rental company will pursue the at-fault party directly and leave you out of it. But there's no way to know for sure until it happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">