• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was uninsured and got into an accident, what do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prodigy911

What is the name of your state? Florida

Unfortunately I got into an accident at the worst possible time, a few weeks after my insurance was cancelled (without me knowing, I was out of state)! The police gave me a ticket for the accident because I hit the car from the back, even though the moron cut me off and I simply couldn’t break in time... Now I am afraid that I might get sued and will have to pay everything for my car, their car and whatever else they sue me with! What do you guys think is a good way to get out of this mess, I'm only 19 and paying for my car is already a lot for me! I know that Florida is one of the "no-fault" States, doesn’t that mean that everyone is responsible for their own damage and I will only have to pay for my car? Is there any insurance I can get now that will protect me from paying these guys (someone told me sr22 can protect me from being sued)? Should I renew my auto insurance right away (my car is at shop now, wont be drivable for at least a month)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys,
Keith

P.S. Accident happened 2 days ago, so I dont really know much at this point. I wasnt sued yet or anything...

Last edited:

prodigy911

"Aren't you required by law to carry liability insurance on your auto?"

Not sure I understand the question... of course everyone is required to have auto insurance. Unfortunately, I recently switched insurance companies and the new insurance mailed me a letter of cancellation while I was out of State. When I came back, I drove the car without first checking the mail and finding out that they decided to cancel my insurance (they said it was because I failed to provide proof that I had insurance prior to this, which I had). Like I said.. the timing couldnt be worse, if it happened two weeks ago I would be totally insured. I know that I should've known, but I paid them 6 month in advanced so I wasnt worried about it at all.. I had no clue they would cancel it and I thought if they would, I would be notified in something other than a small letter. Anyways, so here is current situation that I'm at,

"Now I am afraid that I might get sued and will have to pay everything for my car, their car and whatever else they sue me with! What do you guys think is a good way to get out of this mess, I'm only 19 and paying for my car is already a lot for me! I know that Florida is one of the "no-fault" States, doesn’t that mean that everyone is responsible for their own damage and I will only have to pay for my car? Is there any insurance I can get now that will protect me from paying these guys (someone told me sr22 can protect me from being sued)? Should I renew my auto insurance right away (my car is at shop now, wont be drivable for at least a month)? Any help would be greatly appreciated."
"

goodgrief

Ok. I thought most states required that but wasn't sure.

As far as getting insurance coverage started back up I don't think that will help you at all as far as the accident, since at the time you weren't insured. I would still get my insurance back though.

You are probably going to be sued for damages to the other driver's car, and any injuries. I'm not in Florida, so until someone who can help you comes along this is the best I can offer you. I haven't heard of not being able to sue someone with SR22 High Risk Insurance, but you will probably be required to carry that type of insurance for a specific period of time since you were involved in an accident without insurance.

I don't think there is any way you can "get out of this mess". Unfortunately for you it's going to end up costing you a lot...and your insurance rates are going to go up considerably. I don't know about the other person's insurance and if they had protection for uninsured drivers, but I'm not sure at all how that works.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">