• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Want Answers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RUTHIE2

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA
In June I was involved in a auto accident that was not my fault. The driver ran the stop light was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. He was not the owner of the car nor did he have a valid drivers license. At the time of the accident is was unclear as to wether the owner of the car had valid insurance. It was found later that the car did infact have insurance. My insurance company filed the claim and merely sent her a letter for her to contact them to confirm the policy she carried. In the mean time my car was totalled and I was left with having to pay a car payment once again that was not financially in the budget.
The driver the car was arrested and charged with a DUI and lost his license for 6 months. I was never notified of the outcome of the owner of the cars insurance.
I am a long time policy holder with a nationwide carrier. Their thanks to me was to advise me that I had 10 days to pay my total premium upfront in full or lose it.
What are my rights to reimbursment of my out of pocket cost on my car. Do have any legal right to seak damages from both the owner of the car who gave the car to a negligent driver and the driver who struck me?

L

Lifeisfarout

Did your insurance policy pay to have your vehicle repaired? If so, they should subrogate (get reimbursed) the negligent party's insurance carrier.
I'm confused about your comment regarding paying your premium in full. Did you have a payment or renewal due that needed to be paid whether you had a claim or not?
Do you have the negligent party's insurance info? If so, have you filed a claim with them?
Did you get a copy of the police report?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">