• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ice damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jason L

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I was driving on I-93 when a huge chunk of ice blew off the top of the semi I was about to pass, the ice hit my S-10 and broke my passenger side mirror off and a scratch on the door.
I called the trucking company but they said this falls under "Act of God", and they are not going to do anything for me.
This seems to me that they could have taken the ice off the trailer before hauling it.
Are they trying to blow me off, or do I have a legitimate gripe here to get them to fix my truck?

teflon_jones

Their insurance company is correct, this is considered an act of god and they're not liable. You'll either need to pay for the damages out of your pocket or file a claim with your insurance company, pay your deductible, and risk higher rates.

Sorry, I disagree. It is the responsibility of the truck driver/ and or company to remove snow/ice from their truck. It is not an act of god. Find out who their insurance company is and file that claim.

HomeGuru

Jason L said:
What is the name of your state? New Hampshire
I was driving on I-93 when a huge chunk of ice blew off the top of the semi I was about to pass, the ice hit my S-10 and broke my passenger side mirror off and a scratch on the door.
I called the trucking company but they said this falls under "Act of God", and they are not going to do anything for me.
This seems to me that they could have taken the ice off the trailer before hauling it.
Are they trying to blow me off, or do I have a legitimate gripe here to get them to fix my truck?

**A: and what did YOUR insurance company tell you when you filed a claim?

HomeGuru

thepenster060 said:
Sorry, I disagree. It is the responsibility of the truck driver/ and or company to remove snow/ice from their truck. It is not an act of god.

**A: and how often must this be done? Every 50 miles?

T

Trucking Mad

thepenster060 said:
Sorry, I disagree. It is the responsibility of the truck driver/ and or company to remove snow/ice from their truck. It is not an act of god. Find out who their insurance company is and file that claim.
Sorry my friend the other post are correct that it is an act of god. Scale this down, if the chunck of ice came off of a pickup truck or passenger car or maybe it was kicked up from the road, whose at fault? no one! There are many misconceptions about liabilty when it comes to Semi-Trucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">