• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Icy Roads Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandoncolorado

Colorado----

So, I have a few questions for the group as I am a bit scared. First an overview of the accident. I was driving on a highway in bad weather...hit black ice crossed the road and hit the guard rail pretty hard. Noone was hurt thank god, but I have some questions. I didn't report the accident to the police because my car was driveable. I called the car insurance company and the repairs will be 5000$. Here's my questions.
1) Will my insurance rates go up as much as if weather was good (this is my first accident.
2) Will insurers in the future be able to see this accident even though I didn't get a ticket or talk to the police?
3) What kind of rate hikes could I see? I currently pay 130 a month for comprehensive and I am 22.

Thanks in advance.

tammy8

Yes you had a collision due to icy conditions. You are going to be responsible. That is the risk of driving in icy conditions.

teflon_jones

1) Sorry, but weather has no bearing on this! You were in an accident that was your fault. An accident can NOT be Mother Nature's fault. Consequently, weather has zero bearing on this since you'll be found to be 100% at fault since it was a single vehicle accident. After all, insurance companies can't sue Mother Nature in court to get money back for all the money they pay out for accidents she causes. ;)
2) Most states require that any accident above a certain dollar value MUST be reported to the police. You should look into this in your state. I suspect you'll have to file an accident report for this since it's $5000. This is a separate issue than whether it'll affect your rates in the future. But the answer is yes, other insurers will be able to see it. They don't use a DMV database like they do for traffic tickets, nor are accidents stored in a DMV database unless there's an associated traffic ticket issued. There's a separate database insurers use to track claims that are submitted, and this would go there.
3) You'll have to talk to your insurer about the rate hike. That's much to broad a question for anyone other than them to answer! :)

Best of luck, and sorry to hear about your accident.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">