• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegally Parked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotlieb

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I supposedly hit a truck that was illegally parked on the side of the street. I was knocked out in an accident, and have no recollection of what occurred. I left the scene and the owner of the truck that I supposedly hit contacted us. His truck was red, and I have white paint on my car. No paint was taken off of his truck. He contacted the police, and they did a report on his truck, but the police don't know about my car. The owner of the truck wants to settle it without the police getting involved, to save me from getting a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. There was a lot of paint taken off of my car, and only a small amount of paint was found by his truck. The paint chips at the accident are similar to the color of my car. Since I don't remember anything about the crash I have no leverage in the conversation. It is possible that I did hit his truck, but I don't understand how there was white paint on my car. Is there anything I can do if his truck was parked illegally on a street that does not permit parking, and will my insurance company require a police report on my car before they pay for damages?

teflon_jones

First of all, how could you get knocked out in an accident, then leave the scene and have no idea what you hit? :confused:

As for the truck being illegally parked, that makes no differrence. You hit it.

As for the paint color on your car, many times paint streaks will appear white, not the color of the car. For instance, if you scratch your car, the scratch will always appear white, not the color of your car. Same phenomenon.

Lynx 36

Quote: "For instance, if you scratch your car, the scratch will always appear white, not the color of your car. Same phenomenon."

It does this on minor hits. It's b/c of the clearcoating over the paint.

HomeGuru

gotlieb said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

I supposedly hit a truck that was illegally parked on the side of the street. I was knocked out in an accident, and have no recollection of what occurred. I left the scene and the owner of the truck that I supposedly hit contacted us. His truck was red, and I have white paint on my car. No paint was taken off of his truck. He contacted the police, and they did a report on his truck, but the police don't know about my car. The owner of the truck wants to settle it without the police getting involved, to save me from getting a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. There was a lot of paint taken off of my car, and only a small amount of paint was found by his truck. The paint chips at the accident are similar to the color of my car. Since I don't remember anything about the crash I have no leverage in the conversation. It is possible that I did hit his truck, but I don't understand how there was white paint on my car. Is there anything I can do if his truck was parked illegally on a street that does not permit parking, and will my insurance company require a police report on my car before they pay for damages?
**A: the fact that the truck you hit was illegally parked is not relevant.

appleby

it is relevant if it shows the other party's contributory/comparative negligence. welcome to america, homeguru.

HomeGuru

appleby said:
it is relevant if it shows the other party's contributory/comparative negligence. welcome to america, homeguru.
**A: oh brother, rottenapplyby is showung his contributory ignorance.
His comparative ignorance is let's say a drunken slug.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">