• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im 18 and being sued for over 30k for car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TODD JAY

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Im 18 and being sued for over 30k for an accident that hapened when I was 16....after the accident they settled for 7k and now that im 18 im being sued for 30k for injuries suffered . I have no assets . I own no property. Im a High school student the only income I have is social security. Can some one give me information on why...they have all of a sudden filed a suit against me...is the insurance compnay that i had a policy with obligated to represent me?..even though they had cancelled my insurance and now I am under a new policy?Is there a possibilty that the case will be turned away when they found out my finacial history and I am not able to pay these damages some one please help this is very stressful...
thanx

Z

zappy

well this is a good lesson for you to learn, stuff you will NEVER learn in high school OR college.

That keeping the paperwork on lawsuits, accidents, warrentes, repairs, bill of salesrecipts for big ticket items, credit card bills,, Apartment Leases, checkbooks, for a couple of years and never losing them will help you solve this problem....heck you could fit all of it in one small box.

Such as what did they exactly settle for $7K? and was it a final settlement? did it include a waiver from all claims? this is all in the paperwork.

You need to contact the old insurance company and represent you since thay have your files.

You are being sued becuase of one of two reasons, the statute of limitations is running out, so this is a hail mary pass to see if they can get more money from you, and you just turned a legal adult.

stephenk

are you sure the earlier settlement wasnt just for property damage?

definitely turn over the paperwork to your old carrier since they covered you during the period you had the accident. do it ASAP

T

TODD JAY

im not going to have any representation..i didnt have insurance at the time it was my mothers car...........can anyone tell me what is likely to happen?:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TODD JAY said:
im not going to have any representation..i didnt have insurance at the time it was my mothers car...........can anyone tell me what is likely to happen?:confused:

My response:

Well, they're not suing you for nothing. They can get a judgment against you that will last for years to come.

I hope you're limber.

If you are, try putting your head between your legs and kissing your ass goodbye.

IAAL

Z

zappy

You drove without insurance, they were INJURED due to your BAD DRIVING, they want to be reimbursed for their loss.

So you will have to pay them back.

See driving without insurance sure saved you a lot of money....NOT!

stephenk

Then who settled for $7,000?

Did your mom have insurance coverage on the car at the time of the accident? If yes, then still submit the lawsuit paperwork to her old carrier. they owe a duty to defend you as a permissive driver. You weren't excluded to drive under her policy were you?

T

TODD JAY

yes my mother had insurance at the time of the accident they had a setlement for 7000K...the passenger in the veichle is suing.....we are going to have representaion from the old carrier...zappy u need to calm down buddy.......i was 16 with a permit at the time ok brother......the lady who was driving settled for the 7 grand

C

cur7is

Okay, some questions.

Were you drving by yourself under your permit? In Wisconsin, those under permits are required to have a legal adult in passenger seat at all times.

Did you mother have you covered under her insurance as a possible driver? If so, you were covered.

Third, I'm not so sure they can sue you as an adult for something that happened when you were a minor. Then again, I don't know about your state regulations. It may be different from what I'm used to.

T

TODD JAY

yea we are suppose 2 drive with an adult with a permit.......i dont believe we were covered at the time ...my mother was but not me....if he wasnt covered why are they representing him in court?

C

cur7is

TODD JAY said:
yea we are suppose 2 drive with an adult with a permit.......i dont believe we were covered at the time ...my mother was but not me....if he wasnt covered why are they representing him in court?
I don't know about the laws in your state, but when I received my permit in the state of Wisconsin, I did not have to be on my mother's insurance to be covered. In other words, I could drive with her in the vehicle and not be covered under her insurance simply because I have a permit and am still learning.

The other question I have is: Was someone in the vehicle with you when this accident occurred?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">