• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm at fault, but have questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nc_gyrl_1985

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC

This past Monday I was involved in a rear-end collision with a man in North Carolina. I was at fault, and it wasn't until I called my insurance agent that I found out my estranged husband hadn't been paying our premium and the policy was cancelled. I am the owner of my car, so I am responsible. I am willing to settle out of pocket with the gentleman that I hit. He has given me an estimate of over $550 to fix a dented bumber on a 96 Cherokee. The parts alone for the vehicle to replace the bumper are less than $150, and the rest is "labor". He took it to the Jeep dealership, and when I informed him that I believed that was too expensive for the work required to replace the bumper, he told me that he didn't want to replace the parts, that he wanted to fix them and maintain the originality of his vehicle. This car is not a rare car, nor is it registered as a collector car. So am I required to pay this amount, or am I allowed to buy the aftermarket parts and find a mechanic that is just as certified as the ones he wants to use and let them install it? I made a mistake, and admit to it, but I don't know if he has the right to rip me off. He told me that he no insurance either, despite being in a good-paying job (high rank in the military). What are my options? Thanks for any help that you might be able to give, and for anyone who wants to harp on my driving without insurance, don't. I already know I was an idiot to trust my soon-to-be-ex with something so important.

teflon_jones

It's up to him to decide how he wants his car repaired. Pay him the money he's asking and move on. Make sure you get a signed letter from him stating that the money pays in full for all property and personal damages prior to sending payment.

nc_gyrl_1985

I have no problem paying him for the damages, but I don't have the money just lying around to let him rip me off...this guy has done much in the past few days to harrass myself and my boyfriend (who wasn't there), including making calls to my bf's command and trying to get money from him when this has nothing to do with my bf. Also, something tells me that I only have to pay to repair the damages, replacing whatever was broken. I want to move on, but not at the expense of being ripped off when I'm already paying so much (my car is totaled). Is there a law that requires me to do it his way, not to satisfy the need to repair his vehicle and restore it to working order?

nc_gyrl_1985 said:
I have no problem paying him for the damages, but I don't have the money just lying around to let him rip me off...this guy has done much in the past few days to harrass myself and my boyfriend (who wasn't there), including making calls to my bf's command and trying to get money from him when this has nothing to do with my bf. Also, something tells me that I only have to pay to repair the damages, replacing whatever was broken. I want to move on, but not at the expense of being ripped off when I'm already paying so much (my car is totaled). Is there a law that requires me to do it his way, not to satisfy the need to repair his vehicle and restore it to working order?
You don't get to tell him where he can get his car fixed.

nc_gyrl_1985

I'm at fault...

I talked to the magistrate, and she said the same thing. But this guy didn't tell the police that he didn't have insurance...or at least he does and he's lying to me about it. Why is it that he gets to rip me off? And if I decide to not settle this way and take it to court, what are the chances that the judge will see that he's not being reasonable...he said that he wants to get it all put behind him, but when I explained that I'm out of work and attempting to resolve the issue, he just went off saying he would get the money some way or the other. When I asked him for the information ie what mechanic he went to, who to send the money to for the repairs, he said not to worry, just cut him the check and it would be over with. Do I have to give him the money (I asked for two estimates from different shops, like the magistrate said), or do I pay the shop? I think this guy is seriously trying to rip me off...

nc_gyrl_1985 said:
I talked to the magistrate, and she said the same thing. But this guy didn't tell the police that he didn't have insurance...or at least he does and he's lying to me about it. Why is it that he gets to rip me off? And if I decide to not settle this way and take it to court, what are the chances that the judge will see that he's not being reasonable...he said that he wants to get it all put behind him, but when I explained that I'm out of work and attempting to resolve the issue, he just went off saying he would get the money some way or the other. When I asked him for the information ie what mechanic he went to, who to send the money to for the repairs, he said not to worry, just cut him the check and it would be over with. Do I have to give him the money (I asked for two estimates from different shops, like the magistrate said), or do I pay the shop? I think this guy is seriously trying to rip me off...
You should absolutely get copies of his estimates. He can still be paid directly; it's up to him as to whether or not he chooses to use the money to actually fix his car.

nc_gyrl_1985

I'm at fault...

well, I decided to check and see if he had insurance. Well, he does, so I told them what happened and they said they would check into it. I know I'm taking a risk doing it this way, but I know that I didn't damage his car that much. I trust them to do it right, cause they have to pay first. And I can make payment plans with them to pay them back, he wants the money now. Also, if they're handling it he has no reason to call and harrass me anymore, or my bf. Thanks guys for helping out, I'll let you know how it goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">