• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm worried about my limits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigbargains

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I have always been a good driver until last week. I was on a road with heavy traffic and we had just gone through a green light. I looked to the right at a newly cleared and prepped piece of land and wondered what they were building there. I looked back to the front and rear-ended the person in front of me, who hit the girl in front of him, who supposedly hit the car in front of her. The reason everyone was stopped is because the light was red waaaaay up ahead of us. That's no excuse for me, but the timing of lights around here is extremely poor.

Police and EMS came, but no one was treated that I could see and no one left in an ambulance. The car in front of me was a small, older SUV similar to a Geo Tracker or something. The one in front of him was a 90's model Civic. I never saw a fourth car in front of the Civic, so I don't know what it was.

Anyway, I got a ticket for following too closely and all info was exchanged. I talked to my ins co and explained what happened from my perspective.

Today I get a letter from my ins co saying that the property damages incurred could exceed my limits of $50,000 per accident. They advised me of my right to hire an attorney to represent me for amounts not covered by my policy. They also said that I need to contact them immediately if I am being sued because they only have 20 days to respond on my behalf.

I am a little confused...isn't the ins co supposed to represent me? In what instance would I need to hire a lawyer of my own?

I cannot understand how the property damage could possibly exceed $50,000. My vehicle was by far the newest and most expensive one involved except for the phantom fourth vehicle involved. As the very front one, how much could their PD have been?

I was driving a fully insured 2001 F-150 Supercrew - not a high dollar replacement value. Mine is totalled and I imagine the little SUV in front of me was, too. Unless the front car was really something special, I don't get it.

I'm also a little freaked out about injuries. There were no passengers, so only four people involved. Other than soreness and airbag burn I am fine. I think the guy in front of me would be the worst followed successively by the other two drivers.

I don't know who to talk to about this. All morning I kept seeing lawyer commercials for those injured in accidents. What lawyer would want to help me when there isn't a big payout involved?

How can I find out the status of the other drivers' claims, if at all? I want to know if they are claiming back and neck injuries and seeing a chiro, etc.

If you read this far, thank you. Any advice?

Kara

seniorjudge

bigbargains said:
What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I have always been a good driver until last week. I was on a road with heavy traffic and we had just gone through a green light. I looked to the right at a newly cleared and prepped piece of land and wondered what they were building there. I looked back to the front and rear-ended the person in front of me, who hit the girl in front of him, who supposedly hit the car in front of her. The reason everyone was stopped is because the light was red waaaaay up ahead of us. That's no excuse for me, but the timing of lights around here is extremely poor.

Police and EMS came, but no one was treated that I could see and no one left in an ambulance. The car in front of me was a small, older SUV similar to a Geo Tracker or something. The one in front of him was a 90's model Civic. I never saw a fourth car in front of the Civic, so I don't know what it was.

Anyway, I got a ticket for following too closely and all info was exchanged. I talked to my ins co and explained what happened from my perspective.

Today I get a letter from my ins co saying that the property damages incurred could exceed my limits of $50,000 per accident. They advised me of my right to hire an attorney to represent me for amounts not covered by my policy. They also said that I need to contact them immediately if I am being sued because they only have 20 days to respond on my behalf.

I am a little confused...isn't the ins co supposed to represent me? In what instance would I need to hire a lawyer of my own?

I cannot understand how the property damage could possibly exceed $50,000. My vehicle was by far the newest and most expensive one involved except for the phantom fourth vehicle involved. As the very front one, how much could their PD have been?

I was driving a fully insured 2001 F-150 Supercrew - not a high dollar replacement value. Mine is totalled and I imagine the little SUV in front of me was, too. Unless the front car was really something special, I don't get it.

I'm also a little freaked out about injuries. There were no passengers, so only four people involved. Other than soreness and airbag burn I am fine. I think the guy in front of me would be the worst followed successively by the other two drivers.

I don't know who to talk to about this. All morning I kept seeing lawyer commercials for those injured in accidents. What lawyer would want to help me when there isn't a big payout involved?

How can I find out the status of the other drivers' claims, if at all? I want to know if they are claiming back and neck injuries and seeing a chiro, etc.

If you read this far, thank you. Any advice?

Kara

Q: Today I get a letter from my ins co saying that the property damages incurred could exceed my limits of $50,000 per accident. They advised me of my right to hire an attorney to represent me for amounts not covered by my policy. They also said that I need to contact them immediately if I am being sued because they only have 20 days to respond on my behalf. I am a little confused...isn't the ins co supposed to represent me?

A: They are.

Q: In what instance would I need to hire a lawyer of my own?

A: "They advised me of my right to hire an attorney to represent me for amounts not covered by my policy."

Don't stir the pot; if someone is claiming something, you will know about it soon enough. When you find out, tell your insurance carrier immediately and make sure you get some kind of receipt or acknowledgment in writing that you told them.

bigbargains

No desire to stir the pot here. Just trying to mentally prepare for the future. So, if I am being sued, I will get a letter, right?

I wasn't too worried before, but now I am a bit freaked out.

I realize that restitution needs to be made, I just don't want to be eviscerated in the process.

Kara

seniorjudge

bigbargains said:
No desire to stir the pot here. Just trying to mentally prepare for the future. So, if I am being sued, I will get a letter, right?

I wasn't too worried before, but now I am a bit freaked out.

I realize that restitution needs to be made, I just don't want to be eviscerated in the process.

Kara
You will probably get a demand letter first and then a visit from a friendly process server.

Also, the court system rarely disembowels people.

I'm sure that regardless of the outcome you won't be eviscerated.

If the damages are higher than your policy limit, however, you are responsible for the balance. The insurance company may be just telling you worst-case scenario so you're prepared.

bigbargains

Hi InsladyAZ!!

We used to live in Peoria. Moved to FL summer of 2004. Just in time for all the hurricanes and mosquitoes and cockroaches and gross humidity! I'm sure I'll get used to it one day...

S

shell007

Bigbargains:

I am sure there are injuries. Just because you THINK they are minor injuries, if any at all, because no one was carted off in an ambulance....your wrong.

All of those "accident " commercials that you see are for the plaintiff's recovery not the defendent's.

You are definately going to need a lawyer? Either you will have to pay for one or your insurance company will appoint you one.

There is a long road yet to travel here. This is just the beginning.

bigbargains

Thanks Shell,

I never said there were no injuries. I never said they were minor. I am not looking to recover anything. I am fully aware of my responsibilities. However, I don't want to be held responsible for more than is reasonable. Besides, my worries right now extend only to my PD coverage. I figure the BI will come into play later.

I'll get an attorney when I feel I need one. Thank you for the sage advice.

Kara

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">