• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Implied permission or theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

duffyj2

I am a resident of Massachusetts. Recently, my younger brother (15 years old and no license) took my fully-insured vehicle for a joyride w/out my knowledge or permission. He got into an accident and cracked up my car very badly -- basically totalled; no third party was involved, however, and there is no property damage other than my own. He had a key for the car in his posession without my knowledge and had been taking the car for some time without me knowing (it is my second car and I only drive it in the Summer; I am also not home during the day). The police were involved with this incident, and they are citing him for driving to endanger, operating w/out license and speeding ... no theft.

My insurance company claims that, to pay for this, I would have to report it as theft and he would be charged with theft. They will not allow collision or "implied permission"; my argument is that I have allowed him to drive the car in a parking lot previously as well as moving it around the driveway, so "implied permission" makes sense -- especially since he had a key in his posession. I would also like to prevent them from going after him for the cost of damage afterwards, but they consistently refuse to do so.

Please help me out.

Best Regards...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">