• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Backing; Will My Rates Go Up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thad

What is the name of your state?
Wisconsin

Hello everyone, this is my first time visiting this site, but I'm in a spot of trouble and need some Advice.

The other day I was driving my fathers truck home from work. I pulled down a very narrow bi-directional street and there was another truck with a very large trailer pulled out completely across the street. My fathers truck is very big and it's also a Manual. I'm Seventeen and as you can imagine, I was hesitant to try and turn around, so I waited. About two minutes passed and the truck had not moved, I wasn't even sure if anyone was in the vehicle. I then pulled into someones driveway, threw it in reverse, and got out of there.

On my way home, I stopped at a Hardware store to pick something up. This particular store was about five blocks away and on my way back to the truck, a young man on a Bicycle confronted me. The Dialog went something like this...

Kid: "Yo dude, we're you driving on Busse Street about five minutes ago?"
Me: "Uhh, yeah?"
Kid: "You hit a car."
Me: "*%&$."

I voluntarily let him take my license plate number and told him I'd return to the scene of incident. I drove back over there and to my dismay, there was a squad car parked with a Female officer working her notepad over. I parked the truck, and prepared myself for the trouble ahead. These people were preparing to get me for Hit and Run, but when I came back so shortly she decided that wouldn't be necessary.

When I explained to the officer that I honestly did not know I hit another vehicle, she believed me. She seemed very inclined to improve my disposition, so I got an Eighty-Seven dollar ticket for "Improper Backing" and Two points off my license.

According to this officer, the woman who owned the vehicle I allegedly hit, was very upset and did not want to talk to me. I was a bit perplexed by this, but went on with the process. The officer basically went back and forth between the two of us asking her what she'd like to do, and delivering me the bad news.

I tried to get a good glimpse of the back of this woman's vehicle, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it. When the officer returned, she told me the only damage she could find was to the rear left Tail-light.

Thinking about it now, I should have been more stern about seeing the damage I caused, because when I rolled by, the light was obviously intact. Maybe they know something I don't, but how do you damage a Tail-light cover without actually breaking it. Scratching, I suppose.

I feel like I've been conned out of my money, and this brings me to my point.

I could care less about the ticket, but what will this do to my Insurance? Keep in mind I'm still on GDL and have only began driving legally in the last few months.

Also, if I go to court, what am I supposed to say? I'm not even sure if I'm guilty, and I never gave word stating that I was. The officer also was not there to witness the crime, so does this have any impact on the result?

This woman was supposed to contact me today about the damage caused and how much it will cost. She also said that if it was over 250$ she would file a claim. I didn't understand this at all, wouldn't that bring her rates up as well? I told her I could afford whatever it cost, but she didn't seem to care.

I've rolled past the accident scene to try and find her vehicle to take pictures, but I haven't seen it parked yet. I suppose she won't get it fixed until she gets my money, so when she contacts me I'll force her into letting me see the damage.

Any help, guidance, or advise on this situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm not fresh to driving and this is my first offense for anything, but they think I've been driving for the last month, not the last two years.

Thanks in advance,
-Thad.

Last edited:

moburkes

Yes, the ticket will affect your insurance rates, unless the ticket gets dismissed. Look up your state's department of motor vehicles, or look in your new driver's manual to see how a ticket will affect your license. Even if the ticket is dismissed, you can still be charged with the accident by your insurance company. The aduster will look at the damage(s), compare stories, and determine if the accident probably did occur, or, he may even decide that it is not worth it to fight it, and pay anyway. You should tell your parents (you didn't mention if you did that or not) so they can decide whether or not to inform the insurance company. If the damage is affordable for you to pay out of pocket, that is the best way to go, since a surcharge on your already expensive insurance will stay on there for 3 years, at least, and will, overall, cost more than the damage that you caused. Good luck. Don't worry so much.

Thad

Thanks for your insight, I informed my father as soon as I saw him that evening. Needless to say, he wasn't very happy about it. It turns out the "damage" was only Sixty dollars which goes with my theory that I scratched her tail-light. So I guess that's good. Unfortunately, there were multiple witnesses, so the officer not being present during the accident won't be taken into account. I guess all I can do now is delay the court appearance for as long as possible and hope I get the ticket reduced.

Thanks again.
-Thad.

moburkes

Thanks for your insight, I informed my father as soon as I saw him that evening. Needless to say, he wasn't very happy about it. It turns out the "damage" was only Sixty dollars which goes with my theory that I scratched her tail-light. So I guess that's good. Unfortunately, there were multiple witnesses, so the officer not being present during the accident won't be taken into account. I guess all I can do now is delay the court appearance for as long as possible and hope I get the ticket reduced.

Thanks again.
-Thad.
Delaying it won't get your ticket reduced. I'm not sure why you think it will. Since the damage is so minimal, don't notify your insurance company. Search high and low for a claims release form, so that, when you do pay for the damage, the other person agress not to come back later with some BS about how it wasn't enough to cover the damages. If the ticket isn't dismissed, it won't be THAT big of a deal. The accident on your record is a bigger deal. Just promise to pay your parents for the increased premiums.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">