• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Lane Change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cp9042

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was coming home from work on April 27, 2009, when I lost conciousness. The next thing I knew I was in the hospital. From what I have been told, when I was passing out, I side swiped a vehicle to my left, then continued drifting to the left over a marked medium, crossing over two lanes of oncoming traffic for about 20 feet, then back to the right four lanes where I ran over a curb, ran over a street sign hit a fence and slammed into a tree.

I have just found out that the police issued me a ticket for improper lane change. I did not do this consciously. Should I have been ticketed? :confused:

ecmst12

You could have killed a dozen people because you drove when you were too tired or to messed up to stay conscious...and you wonder if you should have been ticketed???

JustAPal00

You could have killed a dozen people because you drove when you were too tired or to messed up to stay conscious...and you wonder if you should have been ticketed???
We don't know why the OP lost conciousness. Could have been a reaction to something they ate. Happened to me when I was in my early 20's. The Dr said it could have been a reaction to some shellfish I ate earlier. Fortunately I wasn't behind the wheel.

las365

It's the decision of the officer at the scene to write the ticket or not based on the information he or she has available at the time; it is the decision of the prosecutor whether to go forward with the charge and/or of the Judge/jury whether to find you guilty or not guilty.

Why did you lose consciousness? If it was due to an unforeseeable medical emergency, your ticket could be dismissed or you could be found not guilty at trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">