• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inaccurate Police Reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dobbie

My son was the 5th car in a five car accident. The accident was initially caused by car 3 when she didn't notice that car 1 & 2 were stopped for turning traffic and she slammed on her brakes and couldn't stop in time. This caused car 4 & car 5 to slam thier brakes on and hit the cars in front of them. The police report is listing my son as the cause of the accident saying all 4 cars were stopped when he came up from behind them and slammed into the rear end of car 4.
My insurance company decided to do a litte investigating and called all drivers, except driver 3 who would not return his call. He optained recorded statements from all that backed my son's story up. But the police department refuses to change thier police report.
My insurance has been mentioning civil rights violations. Stating that he has a right to have the report changed when it is so obviously wrong and we have proof. That he may be discriminated against due to age and gender(18 year old male). And that this police report is causing all claims to be put through my insurance policy just because the police report states it's my son's fault and it my have adverse effects on him when he try's to get his own insurance.
Is this something I should contact a lawyer about or is this my insurance company trying to egg me on? I have tried to reconcile this with the police dept myself. So far with no luck.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I can't believe that someone is actually telling you that by not changing the Traffic Collision Report that there are Civil Rights violations. That's whacky.

Anyway, even though the collision report may be innaccurate, the reporting officer has a right and a duty to write his report with information as he heard it, saw it, and found it, at the scene of the accident, and also upon information he received in follow-up investigation.

If the report is wrong, and you feel the factual information needs to be corrected, then the time and place for that to happen is in the litigation process - - not by hounding the reporting officer.

Therefore, if you feel strongly about it, hire a Personal Injury attorney who's willing to "go to bat" for you in this matter.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">