• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indirect damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wrecked Cougar

What is the name of your state? ****land

I was driving home from work at about 2am when my front tire blew out sending me into the curb. I immediately regained control and pulled into a nearby parking lot.

I got out and looked to see what damage was caused and all I saw was the blown out tire and beat up rim so I changed it and continued my drive.

About 2 miled down the road my clutch gives out and I am forced to pull over again. So I make my way home and call my insurance agent that morning. I have the vehicle towed to the dealership we typically use around here who said there was a whole lot more damage than just the blown out tire and quoted it around 3.6k damage. He also said there was no possible way I could have know by looking at it at night and through eyes of someone that knows nothing about cars. The clutch wasn't damaged from the hit of the curb but was caused by the dmage from the accident + me driving it 2 miles not knowing there was more damage than just the tire.

The insurance adjuster is deneying the clutch claim because he said I should have known the veicle was undrivable and had it towed after the initial break-down even when the mechanic is fully convinced there is no way a normal driver would have known that there was hidden damage.

The clutch repairs alone are around $1.5k which is quite a bit on a young military pay and this time of year.

What can I do or where should I look for information to make my case if I have one?

Thanks

Wrecked Cougar said:
What is the name of your state? ****land

I was driving home from work at about 2am when my front tire blew out sending me into the curb. I immediately regained control and pulled into a nearby parking lot.

I got out and looked to see what damage was caused and all I saw was the blown out tire and beat up rim so I changed it and continued my drive.

About 2 miled down the road my clutch gives out and I am forced to pull over again. So I make my way home and call my insurance agent that morning. I have the vehicle towed to the dealership we typically use around here who said there was a whole lot more damage than just the blown out tire and quoted it around 3.6k damage. He also said there was no possible way I could have know by looking at it at night and through eyes of someone that knows nothing about cars. The clutch wasn't damaged from the hit of the curb but was caused by the dmage from the accident + me driving it 2 miles not knowing there was more damage than just the tire.

The insurance adjuster is deneying the clutch claim because he said I should have known the veicle was undrivable and had it towed after the initial break-down even when the mechanic is fully convinced there is no way a normal driver would have known that there was hidden damage.

The clutch repairs alone are around $1.5k which is quite a bit on a young military pay and this time of year.

What can I do or where should I look for information to make my case if I have one?

Thanks
Your insurance carrier should have procedures in place for how to dispute a claim decision. In fact, it should be on your policy. Call your claims department or agent and tell them you wish to dispute the adjuster's finding and they can tell you how to proceed.

justalayman

Not that it is relevant to the situation but I'm curious as to model of car. $1500 seems like alot for a clutch.

Also, what damage was done that caused the clutch to fail?

Wrecked Cougar

Its a "00 cougar so they have to lift out the engine or something to get to it.

The clutch problem was caused by some arm that got bent up and wasn't allowing the spare tire to turn as it should have been. It was turning and it didn't feel any different than a normal tire when I drove off after changing it....but it was still being forced to turn.

BelizeBreeze

justalayman said:
Not that it is relevant to the situation but I'm curious as to model of car. $1500 seems like alot for a clutch.

Also, what damage was done that caused the clutch to fail?
Try a clutch for a 1956 Mercedes 190 SL or a 1947 Moscovite.

justalayman

1947 Moscovite.[/QUOTE said:
Is that anything like Brezhnev?

Never heard of one. Is it a Russian car?

I would also suggest the OP try to get a letter(statement) from the repair shop repeating what he was told. Before anybody "forgets".

BelizeBreeze

justalayman said:
1947 Moscovite.[/QUOTE said:
Is that anything like Brezhnev?

Never heard of one. Is it a Russian car?

I would also suggest the OP try to get a letter(statement) from the repair shop repeating what he was told. Before anybody "forgets".

It's the Russian VW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">