• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Info to Adjuster / Ins co

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SRGLeaf

Why does the insurance company want your social security number and how can they use it without your authorization?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SRGLeaf said:
Why does the insurance company want your social security number and how can they use it without your authorization?

My response:

They want it to make their job easier, and to be able to cross-index you to obtain information about you and your past.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, give your Social Security Number to anyone, for any purpose - - except the United State Federal Government and your State taxing authorities.

Your number is private and confidential. It is the identifier for who you are, and what your past was, and could control your future if in the wrong hands.

You have a right to refuse giving your number. It's all in the Social Security Act of 1934.

IAAL

S

SRGLeaf

The reason I asked was I have very similar accident as the gentleman that wants to do it on his own (that you have corresponded with). Person failed to yield and we had a head on collision. My insurance is from Florida where I just moved from, but the accident was in South Carolina. My PIP is covering my medical bills and my days out of work.

I called the at-fault person's insurance company to report it as I was told by my insurance company and during the "information" period I was requested for (and probably unfortunate for me, I now see) I gave it to them. What are they possibly going to try to do against me with it. I did not authorize them to use it for anything - does that matter? Also, I want my car replaced or at least get diminished value. I spoke to two lawyers, but neither seemed too excited about it and just said basically "if you are not satisfied with the results, call me". I want the correct result the first time, not "trying again" if I don't like what the adjuster does.

"Part two" of this issue is that I was traveling around 45 mph when it happened and my airbag did not deploy. I have been battling lower neck and lower back/pelvic area injuries for nearly 3 weeks now(I am going to doctor). I feel they are partly from the accident, but could have been avoided or at least less severe if the bag deployed. Is this something worth going after the dealer and/or manufacturer also?

P

pewterwhit

Just remember this . . . you do not have to give the investigating insurance company the information it requests. However, that company has the right to proceed with the information on hand. If you could have provided them with something they could use to help YOU, then witholding info may work towards your detriment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">