• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured, abused, and ignored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imikie

Injured and don't know where to turn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

Over the last few years I have suffered some major health challenges, congestive heart failure, diabetes, and sleep apnea to name a few. I was not sure if I would live till now.

In September of 2003 I was hit by a car in the rear left fender of a car that I was borrowing as I was turning onto my street. There was some damage to the car, but I strained my back as I was turning to avoid the accident, also hitting the curb.

The gentleman that hit me could not speak English. I called the police, but they said that they were not taking accident reports because of an inordinate number of mishaps. I insisted on a patrolman in any case. We stood waiting in freezing rain for 1 1/2 hours. The man put 5 quarters on the hood of his car, apparently trying to settle the problem. Then his 2 sons showed up and started to encourage me to settle the issue. That is when the patrolman finally came.

He said that he was unable to take a report, but to make sure to fill one out myself and send it in, which I did.

I contacted the insurance company, leaving voice mail on 3 separate occasions, never having it returned. I spoke to the owner of the car and he said that insurance had contacted him, sent out an appraiser, but was hedging on paying him because they couldn't take a statement from their client. He couldn't speak English.

Because of my many health issues, I did not actively persue treating the back strain, though I mentioned it to my doctor. I wasn't sure that I would make it through the year.

After a few weeks I called the Ohio Dept. of Insurance and told my story to an investigator. He said I should get in touch with someone at the company at fault, it was their responsibility to handle the claim. I did so and spoke to the adjuster handling the auto claim and was told that they had settled with the cars owner. She told me that an adjuster would get in touch with me to help me with my injury. I waited and grew despondant as my health problems mounted. My back still hurt, but it was secondary.

...a year had passed, and with some excellent doctors, and aggressive treatment I had some hope. Many of my health challenges had been addressed and I was again functioning as more than a bag of water. I brought my back injury to the attention of my doctor once more and she suggested I have x-rays. She later prescribed therapy which I have been undergoing for about six weeks, with some success.

I looked up the record of my conversation with the person that told me that an adjuster would eventually get in touch and recontacted her. She gave me the name of the man handling the claim and switched me to his voice-mail. I left a message and never heard back. I tried again, twice, and finally got a message back saying that he would send release forms for my doctor records.

I called again and he said they wouldn't do anything without a release. He said that it wasn't the case that I probably hurt my back because of my accident with his claimant over a year ago. I had tried to get in touch several times with no success. were they just "blowing me off" hoping I go away? Should I sign the releases and disclose all of my health problems? I'm sure it's not a big amount of money, so I don't want to bother a lawyer. Can someone please give me some direction?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">