• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

injuried in car accident, what now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? new mexico
I am waiting on ride to emergncy room. last night I was rear ended on the highway. My car is totalled, the other driver was cited. The car is not really worth much, maybe 400$. However, I was injuried, head injury, back neck.
Any advice on what to do. I m going to seek medical attention today,then probably call a lawyer soon. I have never been in an accident, the police said something about getting a report, I have the case number.
I am clearly in pain, however, after looking on line, I found the minumum bodily injury amount of insurance required in NM is 25,000. So an attorney takes half, taxes take a third. Im left with 8 ooo. Assumming I recieve the full 25000, I dont really know. Are medical expenses taken up by the bodily injury coverage, or is that sperate.
Is it possible to go at this alone, with no attorney? Work a deal directly with the insurance company? Has anyone been succesful at that, or is that unheard of for personal injury?

fcobarr

insurance companies don't just pay out policy limits. Get proper medical care, figure out what your treatment plan is, see if there are any permanent injuries. Once you know what all your medical cost are...then you can put a demand letter together.

Good luck.

ecmst12

You are NOT in any way, shape, or form going to get $25k for soft tissue injuries. You might want to get a more realistic view about what your injuries are worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">