• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury accident, time limit on case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

handicapped

What is the name of your state? MN

I'll try and keep this quick, simple, and short because my story is not.

I was injured severely in an accident a little over three years ago. I have been quite handicapped due to it and I am aware that I originally had a great case...

Here is the simple part, I haven't been in good contact with my lawyer that I picked up in the same year of my accident and I know he started putting my case together. I know he wanted to put my case off for 2 years to see if I would heal (I've been trying numerous methods of therapy). Fast forward to now, I haven't talked to him in over a year and a half. I have been in continuing care weekly since my accident.

Can I still go through with my case or due to the time limitations have I lost that option? I am aware of the statute of limitations, but I have also heard that if I've been in continuing care I should be able to still file, is this true?

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your advice!

ecmst12

You'd better contact your lawyer ASAP. If the SOL is 2 years, and he hasn't filed the suit so that you'd have more time to treat, then you've likely lost your right to sue.

JETX

I was injured severely in an accident a little over three years ago.

Can I still go through with my case or due to the time limitations have I lost that option? I am aware of the statute of limitations, but I have also heard that if I've been in continuing care I should be able to still file, is this true?
No. The SOL for a personal injury claim in Minnesota is SIX YEARS from time of injury.
Minnesota statute 541.05.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">