• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury from car crash (Maximizing financial reward)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hopkins21

I was in an accident on Monday as the passenger the other day, and have had very minor neck and back pain. Both drivers insurance companies took statements from me over the phone regarding injury.

I went to an urgent care center, got a diagnosis of a Cervical spine and lumbar spine ligament sprain, and a note to be out of work for 2 days.

Questions:

1. Do i need to follow up with my primary care doctor for the neck and back pain to maximize eventual settlement, or are the records from the urgent care center sufficient? Is this sufficiently documented

2. . I plan to send a form letter to the at fault drivers insurance company , and will request 10K

3. Is 10K a reasonable request for: (1) 2 days missed work. (2) Pain that keeps me from doing activities i like and (3), 1 doctors office visit? I would probably take a 5k offer if they came back with that.

4. Are there any steps i can take right now to maximize the settlement from the insurance, other than taking more days off work which i do not intend to do?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You wait until your medical treatment is completed in order to be able to come up with a number compensating you for your medical bills.

"Financial reward"? This is not about getting a reward, it's about being fairly compensated for your medical expenses, etc.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
By the way, thanks for ignoring the question asking you about what state you're in.

That is a very important piece of information that you left out.

quincy

By the way, thanks for ignoring the question asking you about what state you're in.

That is a very important piece of information that you left out.
This thread was created for Hopkins21 from a post Hopkins added to a thread from the archives. That is why Hopkins provided no state name. Perhaps s/he will return with that information.

If Hopkins return, Hopkins should understand that no one on this forum can tell him what a "reasonable" amount is to request in the way of compensation. He will want to speak to an attorney in his area who can personally review all facts and advise Hopkins accordingly.

adjusterjack

1. Do i need to follow up with my primary care doctor for the neck and back pain to maximize eventual settlement, or are the records from the urgent care center sufficient? Is this sufficiently documented
You need to follow up with your primary care doctor the neck and back pain to make sure you recover properly from the injury.

2. . I plan to send a form letter to the at fault drivers insurance company , and will request 10K
Knock yourself out.

3. Is 10K a reasonable request for: (1) 2 days missed work. (2) Pain that keeps me from doing activities i like and (3), 1 doctors office visit? I would probably take a 5k offer if they came back with that.
At this point I would give you $500 plus your medical bills and time off from work (assuming you lost earnings for those two days).

I would probably take a 5k offer if they came back with that.
Dreamer.

4. Are there any steps i can take right now to maximize the settlement from the insurance, other than taking more days off work which i do not intend to do?
Claim reps aren't stupid. You'll be paid what your claim is worth no matter how much you try to phoney it up.

justalayman

Depending on the state, you may not be entitled to anything. When you return, be sure to post that critical information.

ecmst12

Is it reasonable to expect $10k for 2 days off of work, minimal doctor bills, minor pain and complete recovery? Absolutely not. Minor injury = minor compensation. Adjust your expectations.

You should follow up with your doctor if you are still having pain in a few days and feel like more treatment might be needed.

ecmst12

Also, taking more days off of work is not going to help you unless you're using that time to see the doctor because you're still having pain and need more treatment.

justalayman

Also, taking more days off of work is not going to help you unless you're using that time to see the doctor because you're still having pain and need more treatment.
And again, in some states op would be entitled to absolutely nothing from the other party or their insurance. Several states have no fault liability for personal injury resulting from motor vehicle accidents where the person's own insurance is responsible for their injury costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">