• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ins Co. Adding persons to your policy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NHgrits

I live in NH where insurance is not required. When my daughter turned 16, we bought her her own car, which she drives. (Has never driven mine or my husbands car.) Our cars have full coverage, her car is not insured. She graduated from High School at 17 and at 18 moved in with her Fiancee. She was thinking of purchasing a new car and her insurance rate would have been SKY high, so she asked us to list her with our insurance. Well I got an quote from Geico, which was reasonable, and told her I would call them back if she bought the car and decided to purchase and we add her. The next day I got a call from Geico. I told them we weren't adding her as she had decided not to buy the car. They said they HAD TO add her to my insurance cost because her driver's liscence listed her as living at my address. We have NEVER had her on our policy, as it was legal for her to own her own car and not carry insurance. Geico says until I show absolute proof she no longer resides with me (as an utility bill in her name or a marraige certificate) I will have to pay insurance on her with my auto policies on mine and my husbands car. Does anyone know if they can do this???? :mad:

racer72

Take your business elsewhere. And complain to your state's insurance commisioner. Geico got slapped in my state for the same thing.

N

NHgrits

Thanks all. Oh, and yes, New Hampshire doesn't require you to carry Automobile Insurance. I found out State Farm has cheaper rates and will switch and report GEICO. What made this all soo frustrating is my daughter Fiancee has all the utility bills and so forth in his name, so no proof there. My daughter's junker is not insured so I can't prove she on her own policy. And she not married yet, and I'm not gonna rush that just to have to prove she's not living with me. Her payroll reciept is not acceptable proof (according to Geico). (and nor is her W2 form). It seems they make it very difficult to meet the criteria to remove someone from your policy that they added. :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">