• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ins. Co. Not responding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Honda

What is the name of your state? Texas

I just have a quick question. I've had auto ins. through my co. for the past year. Three month ago I switched from Liability to full coverage because I got a different car that I was paying for. Its a 96 Honda Accord, LX, 2DR, 113k miles on it. Here's my problem, Last week my car was STOLEN!!!! uugh...theives man...anyway, :mad: my question is, since I still owe on the car (which the loan is in someone else's name because of my jacked up credit) and I'm paying for the car, how long will it take for the Ins. co. to cut me a check for the car? Also how do they determine the true value of the car? ANNNNDDD what can I do to get them to CALL ME BACK! Its been a week and I have NOT heard a word from my ins. co! Only letters to get me to fill out info about the car. Some one help me!!! and put my mind to ease.......thanks

stephenk

did you report the car stolen to the police? did you get a police report? If yes, send a copy of the police report to your carrier.

Most carriers wait 30 days before attempting to resolve the claim. Why? Because they are waiting to see if you car will turn up. If nothing after 30 days, they will make you an offer based on the value of the car at the time it was stolen.

If you have anything to show your carrier why your car is worth more than market value - extra features, custom rims, etc. start getting your evidence together (photos, receipts, etc)

B

badtenant

How do you know YOU are the owner of the car?

Is the registration of the car in your name only?

The insurance company is probably asking who owns the car since the loan is not in your name.

so you need to explain this better.

H

Honda

alrighty

My friend owns the car....its registered in his name and the loan is in his name we can prove this and I told my ins. carrier all this before I got the full coverage and they still gave me coverage. Yes I did file a police report and have sent that to my carrier as requested. They ALREADY found the car and is sitting waiting for the ins. apraiser to go look at the car. Its been a week and they haven't called me and let me know what the deal is. They haven't given me a rental and I am still out of a car......so what do I do?? Sit and wait....or keep calling them leaving messages??

tammy8

Is YOUR name on the title of the car AT ALL? Is your friend's name on your insurance policy at all as an additional insured?

H

Honda

NO......my name is the only name on the ins. policy......everything is in HIS name...I'm the one with the ins.....what does that have to do with anything??

tammy8

Well from an insurance company standpoint, you have NO insurable interest in that car (since your name is NOT on the title and the owner of the vehicle-NOT YOU-is not on your policy). Since you have no insurable interest in the car, you have no claim.

Last edited:
H

Honda

that doesn't make sense....why would they give me ins. if I have no claim?

H

Honda

I sure did! when I transfed my policy from liablity from an old car that I owed to the honda...I told them that I was paying for the car but the title and the owner was in someone else's name...they still insured me........

tammy8

You have proof that the insurance knew the car wasn't in YOUR name---did you give them a copy of the registration? In insurance most of the times everything needs to line up and everything be under the same name---insurance, registration, tags, taxes.

H

Honda

no I don't....they took the ins. and I told them that I DIDN'T HAVE THE TITLE AND I'M PAYING FOR THE CAR......and they didn't ask me for any lien holder or anything....they wrote up the policy anyway!! So I am insured.....me...and the car with the vin number and the license plate....ME.....

tammy8

You misrepresented the title work. You said you were paying for the car but you didn't disclose that you were not the registered owner. You are not legally insured with that car.

Call your insurance company or your adjuster and find out from them.

Good luck to you!

H

Honda

No I didn't mis represent...I told them that I wasn't the owner and that my name is not on the title and the loan is not in my name. I've already called them and they are making me prove that I'm paying on the car and making the owner of the car sign an affidavid saying that he owns the car. Obvisouly since NOW that I've got a claim they want to give me the run around. Its their fault for not doing the research and all that jazz.......now that my car is stolen they are makin me jump through hoops.

JETX

Actually, Tammy8 is probably correct here and any delays in this are likely due to your problems of confusing ownership.

The insurance company is not going to pay out a claim on a vehicle that their insured doesn't own. There is simply too high a chance of fraud. I even predict that after they get the signed affidavit and proof of payments, they probably will deny your claim.

Oh, and don't blame the insurance company for this.... you created this little problem yourself.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">