• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ins insisting car is "not a total" and is "repairable"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

presario3000

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Ins is offering $14,500 while the body shop claims it is $19,500. The ins estimate includes refurbished parts and is insisting to repair parts that probable should be replaced. If the estimate is over 17 or 18K, ins considers it a total loss and will pay FMV (about 25-26K). It seems the ins is just undercutting the limit to avoid paying "total loss" by insisting to repair parts and not replace them... and if they do replace them, replace them with refurbished parts. 2003.5 Infiniti G35.
Also, will ins cut me a check for 14,500 if we settle or will they pay the body shop? Thanks

justalayman

Look at your insurance policy. It will probably state that used or aftermarket parts can be used to repair vehilce at their discretion. But my question would be...will the/any body shop actually fix it for ins. auth. amount.

if repair shop doesn't fix the car...why would they get the money.
I have had ins. co. do both (not for same accident obviously) but actually they owe it to you and IF you have it repaired you pay repair shop.

teflon_jones

If you're unhappy with the amount, then request arbitration through your state insurance board.

Is there a lien on the car? If so, then the insurance company must cut the check to a body shop and have the car repaired. It's part of your insurance binder. What body shop you choose doesn't matter, but the check will not go to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">