• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ins. promises to replace car. Offer's to pay out rediculously low

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tangent

What is the name of your state? California

My dad was hit a few weeks ago by a kid that crossed over into his lane. My dad's truck is totalled. The kid's insurance company accepted full responsibility and told my dad they would pay to replace his truck (a Ford Diesel F-250). My dad did research and found that the average price for those trucks in his area is about $5500, none lower than $5000. The insurance company is offering no more than $3500 claiming that the price difference between the gas and diesel versions is only worth $200. I dare anyone to find a diesel for only $200 over a gas truck price.

They are unwilling to pay him the actual replacement value of it, my dad's insurance company wants no part of it, and local lawyers also want no part of it because there's no injury so there won't be a good payday for them.

What can he do to get the kid's insurance company to pay him enough to replace his truck like they promised?

stephenk

Most carriers in California use Mitchell Estimates to determine the value of a vehicle. Ask the adjuster for the basis of the figure your dad is being given. Has your dad provided any proof to the carrier that his value is more accurate?

Did your dad have collision coverage on his truck? If yes, he can make a claim with his own carrier and possibly get a better offer. Your dad's carrier would then subrogate against the other carrier to be reimbursed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">