• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Application Underwriting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tayla

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Recently chose to scout for better rates on insurance. Been with the same insurance agency for 6 years. Found three companies willing to quote rates. Upon receiving the quotes, I requested to apply. ( Note: Each was 40-60% lower then what I pay). Filed the appropriate paperwork. Received the response that "in order to process we will need the medical history of all members in the household". One of the family members declined since they have there own auto insurance and consider 'medical' information between patient and doctor to be private . I proceeded to explain this to the agent at which point he stated "without the proper documents we will need to decline our offer to cover your automobile". With that I am stuck with higher rates merely because an underwriter has the final say in Pennsylvania. Is there no way around this guideline? I even so much as offered proof that the other member had his own insurance carrier, yet that didnt seem to convince the agent. I have a clean driving record, decent income, and have had my license consistantly for 20 some years now. Are there laws to protect and aide the consumer when it comes to insurance underwriters? What avenues might be available to see legislation change in favor of aiding the honest drivers willing to pay decent rates for decent coverage?

tammy8

Umm, never heard of medical info being used except maybe the company is looking for any suspended license due to eplisey or some other aliment. Are you absolutely sure the company wanted medical records and not just driving records?

Tayla

Tammy, Thank you for replying. Yes, the insurance agent presented the form in which I was to take to the Physician.
On the form it has various questions, each either relevant to current treatments, diagnosis's, or medications. In contacting my State Insurance Department , the official words were" Underwriters" are permitted to require such if the company is writing for a new policy holder or shows just cause that the holder may be a risk to the company.". My concern is the fact that medical information is private and protected as priveldged information. Its my car that is getting insured along with my responsibility to pay accordingly and drive in accordance with the laws of my state. To hold other household members accountable when underwriting is illogical.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">