• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mei-Mei

My state is Louisiana.

My close friend was in a car accident two years ago and he was injured. The driver of the other vehicle was completely at fault, but she had minimal insurance.

My friend's insurance policy covered underinsured motorists and they settled his case for $50,000.00 on December 27,2002. On that same day that cancelled all of his policies. They refuse to re-issue the policies because they say he has too many claims (he had two). Can they do this or is there any recourse? Cancelled insurance policies do not look good when you're trying to get more insurance.

tammy8

Yes an insurance company can cancel a policy due to claim activity. Every company has a specific number of claims an insured can file within a certain time period. It all depends on the underwriting guidelines of the company.

Tell your friend to try another company. Each company varies in the number.

racer72

Your friend will have to carry high risk insurance for at least 3 years (without any claims) before a standard carrier will insure your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">