• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance cancelled, brokers fault

• Thread starter nofriendof freeway
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nofriendof freeway

San Diego, California

I used a broker to purchase automobile insurance in June of 1999. My policy was due to expire June 11, 2000. I got a notice on June 5, that my police had expired May 5.

When I started the policy I was notified that the broker failed to provide proof of continuous insurance coverage. $180 was added to my premium. I used the same broker the previous year so the broker had that information but failed to provide adequate proof, of continuous coverage. Finally in August of 1999 my broker provided the proof of continuous coverage. I received notice, from the insurance company, that my insurance was reinstated, there would be no lapse, and my expiration date was once again June 11, 2000.
Shortly after, I received a bill from my insurance company for $36; A higher premium, due to a lack of continuous coverage proof, for June, July, and August. If I failed to pay, my insurance would expire May 5th. I contacted my broker, they said it was being taken care of. I got a notice yesterday that it had not been taken care of, and in fact that my insurance had expired may 5th. To add to it, my insurance company said I owe them another $19, which they are willing to go to collections to get. I have no idea where the $19 came from. The Insurance company has cancelled my policy and will not reinstate it unless I pay the $19 and take out another 12 month policy. The broker said they cant do anything, and washed their hands of me. I have been trying to contact them today, and no one will call me back.

I have a clean driving record, the same job, same residence... nothing has changed that could have an adverse effect on my policy.

Aside from not having insurance, and lucky to have access to another vehicle, I now have a lapse in coverage. I am in the process of buying a new Camry and this lapse could become very expensive.

I need suggestions.

[This message has been edited by nofriendof freeway (edited June 06, 2000).]

ALawyer

It may not help but call the California Insurance Commissioner's office and ask for help -- while Commissioner Quackenbush has other things to worry about now (possibly like going to jail) the staff may be helpful and get the broker and insurer together.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

L

lars coltrane

And I am sure that you are now looking for a new insurance broker. When you find the new broker, see if they can assist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">