• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Carrier Charging more for policy than quoted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zita

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My insurance carrier, State Farm, recently moved my policy from Standard to Fire and Casualty (it's a long story as to why) and gave me a quote of $116.47/month for the new policy.
However, when I received my first bill under the new policy it was not at this rate, but I paid it because I thought that it was due to policy changes (which they also never tell you about, talk about hidden costs).
So, the bill came for July for the same higher amount and I didn't pay it b/c I wanted to investigate the discrepency. I never had time and now the bill for the same higher amount came for August as a cancellation notice. So, I obviously need to pay the premimum in order to continue my insurance and I understand that they have the right to cancel b/c I haven't paid.
What I want to know is, if I wasn't informed in writing that the rate would be higher that what I was originally quoted do I still have to pay the higher rate?
I find this whole situation appalling because I have been a customer since I started driving (12 years) and they decided to "non-renew" my policy with Standard because of 2 accidents, both in which I nearly died and were not my fault.
What are my rights? Can I demand the lower rate or do they just get to screw me over again?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, after all these weeks of being late, and rather than calling your agent and asking him/her these questions a long time ago, you've actually taken the time to write to us to ask us these questions. I feel so honored.

Here's my suggestion - - call your agent on Monday.

IAAL

Last edited:
Z

zita

To: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

I have called my agent because I am not a moron, like you seem to assume.
And for the record, I only posted this question to gain additional information, not rude and crass replies.
And frankly it's not really any of your business why I'm late with this bill. And it wasn't even the question.
The question is: Will I be able to have the lower rate?

racer72

The question is: Will I be able to have the lower rate?

Ask your agent. No one on this board can answer that question. If there is a discrepancy, I would bet they would be more than happy to give you a refund.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

zita said:
I am not a moron. And frankly it's not really any of your business why I'm late with this bill.

My response:

Well, "moron" is a bit overboard, but if the shoe fits . . .

Please point out that portion of my response to you where I questioned your reasons for being late. Could that be the "moronic" side of you?

IAAL

JETX

Q: "Will I be able to have the lower rate?"
A: No.

There, you now have your answer.... and didn't even have to wait until Monday and waste a phone call!!

You're welcome!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Q: "Will I be able to have the lower rate?"
A: Yes.

There, you now have your answer.... and didn't even have to wait until Monday and waste a phone call!!

You're welcome!!

IAAL

P.S. There. Now you have competing answers, and now you're compelled to make that phone call - - that same phone call you should have made weeks ago.

tammy8

Apparently your agent didn't have complete information or found something that wasn't disclosed. Until underwriting gets complete and correct information your rates can and will change. You also mention being cancelled standard ins and being screwed into paying higher rates. You are charged the rates per the risk you are. Are the 2 not at faults THE ONLY THING ON YOUR RECORD????

C

CUDALIS

An insurance 'quote' is not etched in stone. It's based on the information that you provide, and may change if the company obtains addtional and/or conflicting information. read your policy. rates depend on use of vehicle, ie. driving to & from work, the # of miles 1 way,as opposed to pleasure use only, other licensed operators in the household & their driving records, year & make of vehicle, etc. the list goes on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">