• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance claim ---man lied to police officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katravluk

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I parked in a parking lot which was almost full next to a brand new car. I pulled in the spot and had a friend with me and one friend waiting outside for us. A few minutes pasted a man came out of door about 50 feet away across the lot to get in the car next to me. He asked my 2 friends did she hit my car and they said no. He went into his car and pulled away. About 30 minutes later a police officer came into the door and asked who owned this car. I said I did and he said you hit someone come outside. I went with him along with my friend and he said the guy who left called him and said I hit him when I KNOW I DID NOT. He filed a police report and the police said I left the scene of an accident. I said how if I didnt hit him he said well you did and told me I had to give him my license. Being only 20 I didn't know what to do so I gave it and I said I want to make a statement I didnt hit him and he said you left scene and gave up that right. This other guy was no where in sight. He also put non reportable on paper and showed where he said I hit but even the diagram was wrong. Claims my mirror hit his car and made a small smudge. He said next time don't leave if I knew this guy was going to lie about it I would have called myself if I hit him. My insurance agent called to investigate and he said go and take pictures he told me where to go and they took pictires of my mirror which guy claims my mirror hit him when I pulled in , the top of the side of his car. Pictures showed no damage on my mirror not even a scratch. Few days late he calls back and said they have to pay claim now 1000. plus rental fee so they can fix his dent now its a big dent. Police wont let me make a statement and was rude to my parents when we went down there. He walk out on us and said you are not making statement. It should be my right to do this. Do we contact a lawyer for this or just let insurance company pay for his damages. I didnt hit and feel it is fraud and he's lying but how to prove it. I have been driving for 4 years and never have violations and a good driver. I feel just because you are parked next to someone doesn't mean you hit them I believe it happened somewhere else and he saw me as a easy target to get some money to fix car. Don't I have any rights to make statement and tell my story. If office doen't let me insurance will pay. They should not pay him. What are my options.:confused::::(:(

ecmst12

If your insurance is paying, it's because they feel the evidence is against you. If they thought you had a case for not hitting the other car, they would deny the claim. So if they think you're guilty, then a judge probably would too. Just let your insurance pay the claim; sometimes stuff like this happens.

katravluk

insurance claim- man lied

from New Jersey

My insurance company said if I can't get my statement on police report than they have to pay because the first one to file a claim is right, even if it is not your fault. They told me that if you are parked anyone can file a claim against you and there is nothing you can do because your statement is not on report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">