• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Co total or repair??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattimelt

What is the name of your state? California

Father in law was bringing me back from the hospital when he was involved in multiple car collision. Front end of car pretty messed up, but only to half way to windshield. Windshield and rest of car intact and still in great condition.
Car is a 1984 Cadillac Seville.

Dad would like insurance company to repair car, not total (but kelley blue book only lists car as worth between $500-$1065--repair costs HIGHER!).

Is there any way to make the insurance company repair car, rather than allow car to be totalled by insurance company??

Dad is stressing, and I would like to have SOME info to tell him. The last accident he was involved in, same insurance co totalled his car, and only paid him $150... I don't know what he would do when he finds out that the insurance co is only gonna give him that much money again if they total...

Thanks.

patti

Out of luck...

Insurance company only needs to fix the car, or total it out at current value, whichever costs less. What the value of the car is at this point is to be determined, apparently, but they will total it, write a check for the value of the car, and that will be the quick end to the story.
There is no way to fight this, so try not to waste too much time thinking about it. Maybe look at some ads for a similar car so that your father in law can get another...

good luck

H

hoenave

DrewfromCA's advice that if the vehicle is worth only the amount in the blue book, you should be able to get another for a similar price, is good. I would add to that though. Check ebay for the last sales prices of you car. In the past Kelly Blue Book was considered the gold standard of car values, as they were the closest thing to experts that a court/insurance company could count on. Unfortunaly they were not real accurate, perticularly with low value cars. Living in CA I'm sure your aware that any car that runs and passes smog is worth at least $800. I sold a Geo Metro for $850 just last week. The blue book was $300. The buyer was excited to only pay $850.

Times have change though. Ebay, being an auction, has started to become the new gold standard on the value of all things. This is happening because what the last few sale prices on Ebay, are by definition, the value of the vehicle. If the value there is greater than the blue book value, you could try getting more money by pointing out the 'REAL' value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">