• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Co, wants me to pay claim...HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindsay79

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Washington State
My policy was cancelled due to a NSF electonic funds transfer. I was involved in a accident 5 days after the policy was cancelled. I also have SR22 filing. I hit the a car in front of me on an interstate, roads were wet, the stopped abruptly and i didnt have enough time to stop...I ran into them going approx. 10 miles per hour - there was no damage to either vehicle as assest by the state patrol and the people in the other vehicle refused medical treatment at the scene. There was 5 people in the vehicle and when they left the scene they all proceded to the emergency room for treatment, one of them racking up a 8k ER bill. My insurance is going to pay out on the claim (as i have up to 50k BII) however since my policy was canceled they say that what ever money they pay out on the claim they can and will recover that from me. How can i regulate that? How can i hit someone going 10 miles an hour -NO Vehicle DAMAGE and have to pay 8k in injuries - it doesnt add up- does anyone have any advice as to what i can do next to protect myself - I know im at fault for hitting the vehicle and will pay to get the 1 sratch on their bumper fixed but where do you draw the line on the injury claim?
Thanks - Lindsay79

Last edited:

justalayman

I know somebody that was hit from behind. She wasn't moving. The other car had stopped, then bumped into her. End result ;well over $100k in expenses.

Why is your insurance paying anything at all? That sounds strange.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

justalayman said:
I know somebody that was hit from behind. She wasn't moving. The other car had stopped, then bumped into her. End result ;well over $100k in expenses.

Why is your insurance paying anything at all? That sounds strange.
That is strange...

zippysgoddess

It is very strange, most companies will not pay out at all if your coverage was cancelled. I suppose though that it is possible they had a policy through the same company that you do, or one of its subsidiaries and that is why they are paying.

Yes, they can pursue you for the money and NO you cannot control any of it. You do not get to decide what medical treatment they need or don't need.

There have been accidents like yours where the vehicle was in pristine condition and people have died, so there is no way of saying that they didn't have injuries just because the car looked okay!

Sounds like you need an attorney, yesterday!

lindsay79

Since i have SR22 that is the reason that the insurance is handling it....my understanding is that there is a 10 grace period because of that SR22 filing- but along with the SR22 they (insurance) can come after me to recoved any and all funds paid on the claim.
My question to you is - is there any way to protect me....? can i regualte the payout on the claim - who is working in my vest interest - insurance is most certianly not.
These people DO NOT HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE NOR DO THEY HAVE CAR INSURANCE - THEY ARE ABUSING THE SYSTEM - what can i do?????? what type of attorney should i try to retian?
thank you

stephenk

Has your insurance company sent you anything in writing explaining that they are paying the claim but reserving their rights to seek reimbursement from you in the event it is determined you were not covered for the accident?

lindsay79

They have not settled the injury claim - but insurance has settled the for the vehicle damage and for that they have sent me a letter stating that I will be charged 445.00 - they asked me to sign this document and have it notarized and send it back - I have not done that yet.
That is all the communication that I have recieved from them regarding payment of any kind. I have refused to sign anything until i know exactly what is going on...and from what I have gathered from this forum and from others i have talked to sounds like i should just get an attorney and have the attorney overlook everything...?
Or since they have not sent me anything regaring payment or even have given me a complete explaination as to why they can recover the funds from me, should i request that?
Thanks for everyone being so helpful...im so scared that there willl be a very large bill at the end of this...and with such minimal damage - i just dont understand how this would happen.

Any additional advice would be SO helpful

Thanks again for everyones help!

abaga

lindsay79 said:
They have not settled the injury claim - but insurance has settled the for the vehicle damage and for that they have sent me a letter stating that I will be charged 445.00 - they asked me to sign this document and have it notarized and send it back - I have not done that yet.
That is all the communication that I have recieved from them regarding payment of any kind. I have refused to sign anything until i know exactly what is going on...and from what I have gathered from this forum and from others i have talked to sounds like i should just get an attorney and have the attorney overlook everything...?
Or since they have not sent me anything regaring payment or even have given me a complete explaination as to why they can recover the funds from me, should i request that?
Thanks for everyone being so helpful...im so scared that there willl be a very large bill at the end of this...and with such minimal damage - i just dont understand how this would happen.

Any additional advice would be SO helpful

Thanks again for everyones help!
Well, then there WAS damage to the vehicle you hit.

Please, before saying someone else is taking advantage of the system, remember, you were the one driving WITHOUT insurance. If they were hurt, then it is now YOUR responsibility to pay the bills.

You can not dictate how much money is used for medical bills.

I just don't understand how your OLD insurance company is paying the bills if you weren't covered...something doesn't ring true on this.

lindsay79

there was a scratch on the vehicles bumper that the insrance co agreed to fix...my car does not even have a sratch on it....i dont know any other way to explain my situation other than to tell you my policy was cancelled and with in 5 days of the cancelation i was in an accident...i believe under SR22 there is a 10 day grace period for coverage and that is why they are taking care of it and seeking finacial reposniblity from me....I just find it too strange that hitting someone from behind going 10 miles an hour can cause 10k plus in medical bills - who is looking out for my best interest in this situation...? Please dont get me wrong i take fault for the accident and for not paying my insurance on time - however - does that mean that the people that I hit can run over my insurance co....they want al medical bills paid including a very large settlement for each person - now claiming that one person in the vehicle has aquired emotional distress from the accident and is seeking counseling....COME ON - WHERE DOES THIS STOP....?

mlk1978

lindsay79 said:
Since i have SR22 that is the reason that the insurance is handling it....my understanding is that there is a 10 grace period because of that SR22 filing- but along with the SR22 they (insurance) can come after me to recoved any and all funds paid on the claim.
My question to you is - is there any way to protect me....? can i regualte the payout on the claim - who is working in my vest interest - insurance is most certianly not.
These people DO NOT HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE NOR DO THEY HAVE CAR INSURANCE - THEY ARE ABUSING THE SYSTEM - what can i do?????? what type of attorney should i try to retian?
thank you

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to protect yourself from paying the ins. company back or the other parties medical payout. If you think that they are abusing the system and possibly using the accident to recieve treatment for other medical conditions, then you would have to prove it. However, privacy is a huge issue and that is going to be pretty much impossible. So it isn't what you want to hear, but you will have to pay all of that back and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. Did you try to make a payment before the 10 day grace period? If you did, then you might not end up being liable for damages. If you did not then that wont be the case. You can try to talk to an attorney and mention the fact that not only should you have not been on the road, but that these other people also did not have insurance. You may have a case, but I am not an attorney so I cant give you that info. As far as recommending a type... I cant do that either, but if I were you I would just call around to a few. Maybe one of them can help you out. Good luck!

S

shell007

lindsay79 said:
there was a scratch on the vehicles bumper that the insrance co agreed to fix...my car does not even have a sratch on it....i dont know any other way to explain my situation other than to tell you my policy was cancelled and with in 5 days of the cancelation i was in an accident...i believe under SR22 there is a 10 day grace period for coverage and that is why they are taking care of it and seeking finacial reposniblity from me....I just find it too strange that hitting someone from behind going 10 miles an hour can cause 10k plus in medical bills - who is looking out for my best interest in this situation...? Please dont get me wrong i take fault for the accident and for not paying my insurance on time - however - does that mean that the people that I hit can run over my insurance co....they want al medical bills paid including a very large settlement for each person - now claiming that one person in the vehicle has aquired emotional distress from the accident and is seeking counseling....COME ON - WHERE DOES THIS STOP....?

I just returned from a meeting with my attorney re: personal injury. He was telling me about his brother who was rear-ended, appeared to have NO injuries (as he was in shock), and later found out after seeking medical attention just to be safe, he ended up with a ruptured spleen, a cracked pelvis, and a pneumothorax.

It is not up to you to determine what another person's injuries are including emotional distress.

Last edited:

abaga

shellandty said:
[/B]

I just returned from a meeting with my attorney re: personal injury. He was telling me about his brother who was rear-ended, appeared to have NO injuries (as he was in shock), and later found out after seeking medical attention just to be safe, he ended up with a ruptured spleen, a cracked pelvis, and a pneumothorax.

It is not up to you to determine what another person's injuries are including emotional distress.

He didn't know he had a ruptured spleen, a cracked pelvis and pneumothorax? Those are pretty large injuries to not have ANY symptoms. I know, you are only relaying something you were told, but this sounds a little odd to not know you have something wrong.

Oh well...live and learn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">