• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance company denying my medical claim....should I sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Izel

What is the name of your state? CA

I’ll try to make a long story short…

I was in a car accident last year 08/05… a car that spun out of control hit me and then hit a second car… the report states that he was at fault… I retained a lawyer and after many months finally the damage repair bill on my car was paid… However, I was denied car rental reimbursement because my lawyer advised me to sign a document in which somehow I only was requesting reimbursement for the car repair… I should also mention that the other person that was hit got 3 months worth of car rental fees reimbursed… I don’t know how that happened, I’m sure she had a better lawyer than I did.

So now the insurance company is denying me medical claim and are only offering me a $1000.00 settlement… won’t even cover 1/3 of my medical expenses… The insurance company says that there should have not been medical expenses because the damage to my car was not severe ($1800.00)... the fact is that a year after I still have shoulder pain and I don't understand why they would deny me.

My lawyer basically said that if I don’t take the $1000.00 they will release my case… I’ve tried finding another lawyer but no one wants to take my case… I guess the payoff is not big enough… my other option is taking this case to small claims court… which I didn’t want to do because that would mean I would have to take the person who hit me to court not the insurance company. I’m really confused on which route to go… any feedback would really help.

Thanks,

Izel
California

stephenk

"my other option is taking this case to small claims court… which I didn’t want to do because that would mean I would have to take the person who hit me to court not the insurance company"

You would never take the insurance company to court. Your only option, if you don't want what the other carrier is offering, is to file a suit against the other driver and owner of the car that hit you. Small claims limits are now $7500.

Whatever you are awarded in small claims court would be paid by the other carrier anyway.

Izel

Thank you for your response... I appreciate the knowledge.

Edited because I reread the post and the answers to my new questions where already there :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">