• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance company does not want to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedAdviceGirl

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was hit in a parking lot. The other driver got a ticket for careless driving. However, he is not telling the truth (he is saying I hit him) and our stories conflict. He pleaded no contest at court for the ticket he received. His insurance company is denying me repairs for my car even though he received a ticket; they say it is because our stories are not the same. It seems that they don't want to admit that the other driver is simply not telling the truth. The insurance company also says there is not enough physical evidence. Isn't getting a ticket and pleading no contest to it enough evidence? Please provide me with some feedback. It has been almost 3 month since the accident and the insurance company is still under investigation. I need some advice on this! Thank you.

Happy Trails

NeedAdviceGirl said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I was hit in a parking lot. The other driver got a ticket for careless driving. However, he is not telling the truth (he is saying I hit him) and our stories conflict. He pleaded no contest at court for the ticket he received. His insurance company is denying me repairs for my car even though he received a ticket; they say it is because our stories are not the same. It seems that they don't want to admit that the other driver is simply not telling the truth. The insurance company also says there is not enough physical evidence. Isn't getting a ticket and pleading no contest to it enough evidence? Please provide me with some feedback. It has been almost 3 month since the accident and the insurance company is still under investigation. I need some advice on this! Thank you.
Pleading 'no contest' isn't the same as admitting guilt.

no contest
n. in criminal law, a defendant's plea in court that he/she will not contest the charge of a particular crime, also called nolo contendere. While technically not an admission of guilt for commission of the crime, the judge will treat a plea of "no contest" as such an admission and proceed to find the defendant guilty as charged. A "no contest" plea is often made in cases in which there is also a possible lawsuit for damages by a person injured by the criminal conduct (such as reckless driving, assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault), because it cannot be used in the civil lawsuit as an admission of fault. "No contest" is also used where there has been a "plea bargain" in which the defendant does not want to say he/she is guilty but accepts the sentence recommended by the prosecutor in exchange for not contesting the charge (which is often reduced to a lesser crime). It is standard practice for the judge to ask either the attorneys or the defendant, "Is there a factual basis for the plea?" before accepting it and finding the defendant guilty.

http://dictionary.law.com/definition2.asp

What is your insurance company doing about it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">