• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Company Doesn't want to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Futon99

What is the name of your state? I live in West Virginia but the accident was in Indiana.

A few weeks ago I was driving late at night (2:30am) in Indiana when a driver hit the side of my brand new car (i'd had it for just under 3 weeks). The accident was the other drivers fault and he was issued a ticket by the police officer on the scene. The other driver had been drinking but passed the breathalizer test by the time he received it. I have filed my claims through my insurance company. My car is currently not drivable and I was given a rental car through my insurance company. Since my car is a brand new car and a brand new model the car company doesn't yet have parts for the car and the body shop in Indiana is having trouble even getting prices for the parts needed to fix the car. The body shop has heard from the car company that the parts will take 4-5 months to come in. My insurance company wants the body shop to try to fix the car up to make it drivable (even though the body shop isn't 100% positive that they can do so) and have me drive back to Indiana and pick it up and drive it eventhough it will still have damage. Then they want me to take it to a local body shop (here in West Virginia) once the parts become available to be fixed. I am concerned about possible extra damage that may be caused by driving around a damaged car and have conveyed this to my insurance adjuster. They still want me to do this. They say that my rental car coverage is only good for 30 days and that the other guys insurance company won't be willing to pay for my rental car for the 4-5 months it might take for the parts. Can the insurance company force me to do what it want me to do? Shouldn't the insurance company pay for me to have my rental car for as long as it takes to fix my car (and then get the money from the other insurance company)? What are my rights here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">