• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance company of the person-at-fault responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eaclark

ohioWhat is the name of your state? OHIO
A woman made a left hand turn in front of me & my car was a total loss. She was was sighted for the accident. I understand that it's her insurance company that is responsible for the damages to my car & to me. They approved me for a rental car but now they are telling me that they are only responsible for a rental until they make the payment to me of my lost vehicle. The problem is that the bank is holding the check for 6 business days to verify clearance, but the insurance company said they are responsible for the rental car until the check clears. Can they really leave me stuck without transportation for 4 days like that? I have a vehicle on hold but can't pay the remainder of the downpayment until that check clears. I have 2 kids and live about 10 miles out of town. Should her insurance company be responsible for my rental until the day the check clears?

teflon_jones

They're only responsible until you settle with them, which is at the point you accept their check. They can't be held responsible for delays on your bank's part. You could have taken the check directly to the bank where it's written from and cashed it instead of waiting the 6 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">