• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is the insurance company screwing me over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brazasian

Okay, back in November my neighbor's moving company hit my parked truck and left the scene. If my neighbor hadn't of witnessed the accident and told me I would have never known who did it. Afterward, I filed a police report, contacted the moving company(which told me they would pay, then referred me to someone else with the company that claims they did nothing), and made a claim with my insurance company.

With all that said and done, it is now almost April, and my truck still isn't repaired and I still haven't heard anything from the moving company or the insurance company. My insurance company sent me a check in January to cover repairs minus my $500 deductible, which I still haven't been able to come up with and told me to sit tight and wait for them to contact me regarding being reimbursed from the moving company. Well I called my insurance company today, 4 months after I made the claim, and they told me that they still haven't heard anything from the moving company. I told them it will be a while before I can come up with the $500 deductible, and they just said I have 6 years to get my vehicle repaired and I can hang on to the check they sent me until I have enough for my deductible.

Well, I'm a little frustrated and confused....I was involved in a hit & run, have a police report, and an eye witness....why must I wait until I can afford my $500 deductible before my truck will be fixed? Back when I made the claim my insurance agent told me that I would be reimbursed after the investigation/subregation dept had gotten in contact with the moving company...but that could take up to 1 year and what if the moving company denies?

So what do I do, sit and wait until I can afford the deductible, with hopes the moving company will admit so I can be reimbursed, pray that my premium doesn't rise when I need to renew? Or is this a legal matter that I need to get a lawyer involved?

Please help...I never thought having evidence on my side would make me have to pay!

A

aristides

i work for an insurance company in north carolina. by law everytime you file with your own insurance and want to get claim resolved under your own insurance, you must absorb a deductible, no matter whether you were at fault or not. please review your insurance policy for this. now what your insurance company must do is get the money from the moving companie's insurance first before you can be reimbursed for your deductible if anything was paid out on your policy. my suggestion is not to file with your insurance at all to avoid paying your deductible and just take everything up directly with their insurance..........if they act like they do not want to pay get an attorney to take legal action against the moving co.'s insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">