• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance company taking their time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

windyard

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Over two weeks ago, I took the summons papers stating that I was being sued to my insurance company. They faxed them over, gave me a copy, and sent the originals to their headquarters as well. The lady said that it would only take about two to three days and they would get back with me. Two weeks have past, I called them, they called me back and said they will get on it, but saying that they may not have recieved any paper work. My question is... the summons said that I have 28 days to respond or a default win will be entered for the complaintif. So what happens if my insurance company doesn't do anything within this time frame? Obviously, he wins, and I will have to pay $25K, which I don't have, but I this goes to where I loose a lot of my life, can I sue the insurance company?

HomeGuru

windyard said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Over two weeks ago, I took the summons papers stating that I was being sued to my insurance company. They faxed them over, gave me a copy, and sent the originals to their headquarters as well. The lady said that it would only take about two to three days and they would get back with me. Two weeks have past, I called them, they called me back and said they will get on it, but saying that they may not have recieved any paper work. My question is... the summons said that I have 28 days to respond or a default win will be entered for the complaintif. So what happens if my insurance company doesn't do anything within this time frame? Obviously, he wins, and I will have to pay $25K, which I don't have, but I this goes to where I loose a lot of my life, can I sue the insurance company?
**A: so where is the rest of the story? You know, the part that you got into an accident etc.

W

windyard

Well the accident was about a year ago, it was my fault, I ran a red light, wasn't paying attention, and I hit a bus, so the driver is sueing me. But is there usually a time limit that the insurance company has to reply to my claim? Because if they are just allowed to take their time... I could really get screwed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">