• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Company Will Cover Car Damage but Not Injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Garence L

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I was stopped in traffic in my little Honda s2000 when a much larger 2011 Honda hit me in the rear. It was a pretty strong jolt and I immediately felt pain in mid back. I was surprised there was only a small scratch as she hit me good going apx.10 to 15 mph. Luckily I was far enough back and did not rear end the car in front.

I went to a low cost urgent clinic and they verified the injury. Mainly a back sprang with back spasms. I had a lot of pain for around 3 1/2 weeks. I sent her drivers insurance (state farm) a letter asking for medical bills, pain and suffering, loss of work and car damage repair all totaling around 7,200

I brought the car in for inspection and a few days later they sent me a check for around $360 for the car repair but they refuse to pay for the anything else. They claim because the damage was minor I could not of been injured. no matter what the medical doctor says.

I explained that my car is very small and has no back seat so the impact to my body is greater. Also I do have pre-existing back problems from a work injury. They said go ahead and sue you won’t win.

Since I didn't have collision insurance, my insurance won't help so I will be filing a small claims suit against the driver. Since they sent me a check for the car damages should I go ahead and cash it and only sue for medical, pain and suffering and lost wages or should I not cash it and sue for the whole amount. In other words does cashing the check end my claim? Also any advice on proving my case. Thanks…..Garence

ecmst12

If you didn't sign a release, you can sue. Cashing the check doesn't mean anything. You should not have tried to combine the car repair claim with the injury claim since they are really separate issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">