• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance cost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rave

My husband works for an utility company and drives a company car all day every day. He has been involved in several accident with his work vehicle. He's had 1 accident with our private car and I have had none. The insurance companies are basing our rates on all the accidents that he has been involved in. Is this legal that we should have to pay for company accidents. We are now paying $800.00 a month to insure a 92 Corolla and 2000 Four runner. I live in Phila, PA. What can we do? We really can not afford these rates.

Helpless in Philly!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rave said:
My husband works for an utility company and drives a company car all day every day. He has been involved in several accident with his work vehicle. He's had 1 accident with our private car and I have had none. The insurance companies are basing our rates on all the accidents that he has been involved in. Is this legal that we should have to pay for company accidents. We are now paying $800.00 a month to insure a 92 Corolla and 2000 Four runner. I live in Phila, PA. What can we do? We really can not afford these rates.

Helpless in Philly!
My response:

They were not "company accidents" - - they were "his" accidents, and recorded against his driver's license number.
And yes, all accidents are computer logged and all accidents under his license number will show up.

In summary, it doesn't matter whose car he's driving. What matters is that he's having accidents, and those accidents are being recorded against his license number.

Other than shopping other insurance companies for their rates, there's nothing else you can do to lower your current rates with your present insurance company - - except to wait three years without having any new accidents. After three years, accidents start coming off the computers.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">