• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihavenomoney

What is the name of your state? NC

I was involved in an accident that was my fault. (although the speed of the other car is still in question)

The people in the other car are sueing me and I was just served by the passanger in my car as well (Over thanksgiving!)

Anyway, she is claiming lost wages, she was unemployed at the time of the accident, she was employed illegally for two years prior to the accident, and held a job shortly after the accident (until she aquired an attorney who told her to quit!)
She is claiming permanent disability, and mental anguish. She had 2 broken ribs and a few bruises. Her employment history is horrible, she couldn't keep a job before the accident! She is suing me for lost wages and future lost wages! She went to Disney World for a week this summer, with no ill effects from the accident. She is active and does whatever she wants. Her medical insurance company picked up most of the medical bills stemming from the accident. She is seeking about $20,000 in medical bills that at least 13,000 have already been covered.
What are my options as far as this. I thought this person was a friend prior to the accident, now I think otherwise. I don't want her to benefit from this because I know she is lying. Any ideas?

racer72

Contact your insurance agent and give them all of the summons' you have received. They are obligated to provide you with legal representation and it appears you need it.

ihavenomoney

My insurance has provided me with a lawyer. Should I also get a PI to get pictures of this so called friend who is "permanently disabled"? She managed to spend a week at Disney this past summer. I don't want to lose my shirt because this woman thinks she can con the system.

Lynx 36

If possible definitely get a PI. Your insurance company hopefully will agree to do this and also pay the tab.

So, disabled people are unable to go to Disney now? Hm.

If your only argument is that she went to Disney World, so she can't possibly be at all disabled, you're not going to get anywhere. :rolleyes:

Just wondering, because you kept repeating it as if it was some rock solid reason as to why she absolutely has to be lying. It's not.

I'm not saying she's not milking the system as to work. But I can't see how you can honestly think that taking a vacation somewhere means they're not permanently damaged. I'm certainly not sitting around the house staring at the walls for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
Good point

Good point, Frogger. Last I heard, disabled doesn't mean dead. My mom is permanently disabled and still lives a full life. People in pain aren't required by law to look miserable 24/7. I hope your sole basis for thinking she's a con-artist isn't that she took a vacation.

Who's Liable?

Maybe, but if the person is suing because they claim they can't walk anymore and are permanently disabled, but is then seen running from one ride to another... That does raise an eyebrow...

Who's Liable? said:
Maybe, but if the person is suing because they claim they can't walk anymore and are permanently disabled, but is then seen running from one ride to another... That does raise an eyebrow...
Did he see her there? He didn't say that. I also didn't see where she claimed to not be able to walk.

Having a Permanent Physical Disability doesn't mean a person cannot walk or enjoy a trip to Disney or even go on some rides.

This reminds me of people who get offended when people have handicapped placards but aren't limping over a walker and falling over themselves drooling with an obvious handicap. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lynx 36

Quote: "Having a Permanent Physical Disability doesn't mean a person cannot walk or enjoy a trip to Disney or even go on some rides."

You're missing the point here.

Getting back to the post. There is no permanent disability. Broken ribs heal. And yes, going to Disney World and walking around w/ a couple of broken ribs doesn't help this person's case.

Quote: "If your only argument is that she went to Disney World, so she can't possibly be at all disabled, you're not going to get anywhere. "

Wanna bet? But this isn't his only arguement anyway. He states she is a very active person.

If a PI were to film her there do you understand what this will look like in front of a court or a jury!? Heck judge, she looked fine riding Space Mountain w/ her broken ribs etc.

There are red flags here and they need to be investigated. A person who is injured from a car accident does not continue to have an active lifestyle if she is SERIOUSLY injured. Heed my original post. Hire a PI and have them take pix, and video of her. If she is active I can assure you they will get video of her doing something she shouldn't. I've used them a few times in the past and they have helped me expose some people to the wonderful world of insurance fraud, as well as settle injury claims f/ lower amounts.

Who's Liable?

FroggerGirl said:
Did he see her there? He didn't say that. I also didn't see where she claimed to not be able to walk.

Having a Permanent Physical Disability doesn't mean a person cannot walk or enjoy a trip to Disney or even go on some rides.

This reminds me of people who get offended when people have handicapped placards but aren't limping over a walker and falling over themselves drooling with an obvious handicap. :rolleyes:

listen bonehead... I never said she saw the person... I am stating that a person who CLAIMS to be on disability and can't walk, then is seen running should raise eyebrows no matter where they are at...

your village just called, they want their idiot back...

Lynx 36 said:
If a PI were to film her there do you understand what this will look like in front of a court or a jury!? Heck judge, she looked fine riding Space Mountain w/ her broken ribs etc.

There are red flags here and they need to be investigated. A person who is injured from a car accident does not continue to have an active lifestyle if she is SERIOUSLY injured. Heed my original post. Hire a PI and have them take pix, and video of her. If she is active I can assure you they will get video of her doing something she shouldn't. I've used them a few times in the past and they have helped me expose some people to the wonderful world of insurance fraud, as well as settle injury claims f/ lower amounts.
I would really love to hear more about those stories!!! ;)

Who's Liable? said:
listen bonehead... I never said she saw the person... I am stating that a person who CLAIMS to be on disability and can't walk, then is seen running should raise eyebrows no matter where they are at...

your village just called, they want their idiot back...

I'm the bonehead and the idiot, and yet you're the one insisting that this person claims to not be able to walk, when NOBODY EVER SAID THAT.

I also never said that this supposedly disabled person wasn't lying, all I said was that having a physical disability doesn't automatically mean you can see it, or that someone with them can't leave the house and do things.

You have some anger issues, and apparently mine isn't the only village missing an idiot.

Wanna bet? But this isn't his only arguement anyway. He states she is a very active person.

I think you missed MY point. He hasn't presented any proof other than the fact that she went to Disney, and he says she's active, although they're not friends anymore, so how does he know until it's actually investigated.

My only beef is the assumption that someone disabled must be lying if they're going on vacation and living their life. I've been hearing it for the past two years myself, and I'm quite frankly tired of it - and I HAVE a job and support myself. He never said when the accident was, only when the papers were served, and unless he lives in her house, how can he possibly know every extent of her injuries?

Again, I never said that she wasn't lying, however I am also disabled, and yet I can drive a car and go to Six Flags. I just can't do everything I used to be able to do.

Who's Liable?

FroggerGirl said:
I'm the bonehead and the idiot, and yet you're the one insisting that this person claims to not be able to walk, when NOBODY EVER SAID THAT.

I also never said that this supposedly disabled person wasn't lying, all I said was that having a physical disability doesn't automatically mean you can see it, or that someone with them can't leave the house and do things.

You have some anger issues, and apparently mine isn't the only village missing an idiot.

You still don't get it do you... let me explain it to you so a monkey will undertstand... I never EVER said this particular person was defrauding the insurance company... I stated "A" person who claims to be disabled and cannot walk anymore, should raise someone's eyebrows if they are seen running between fun rides.... A person meaning ANYBODY, it's a GENERAL statement, NOT a finger pointing...

PissedOff@DTV

Basically put, if a person claims that they can't work anymore due to injuries, they better not be doing activities that can relate to the physical ability to work. (ie. a person claims not to be able to work in a factory lifting 10 lb boxes but is seen bowling, moving furniture, ect... they will have a hard case)

My questions are: Did a doctor tell theis gal that she was disabled? Did they giver her any disability rating? Did she file for disability benefits from SS? Did her doctor release her from any other medical treatments?

If she has legal proof that she was working at the time of the accident, and the doctor ordered her not to return to work until he released her, then she may have a claim for lost wages. If not, then she is out of luck, thus she does not have claim for future lost wages either.

There are thousands of different jobs people can do. I once injured my ankle on a job and couldn't do that exact job for awhile. Instead of missing work, I talked to my employer and they found another job that I could do while healing. It is a matter of a person wanting to work or not.

Main thing that your lawyer needs to know is what exactly did her doctor prescribe her regarding work and physical activity.

JMHO. of course I am no lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">