• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is insurance good

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sar48

i live in indiana. my 23 year old son got his second dui, so lost his license. we took possession of his car since his dad's name was on the title also. since my son had high risk insurance on the car and was paying for it, we cancelled it and put regular coverage on it. we wanted to be sure when we sold it, that it was insured for test drivers. the car is now in my husband's name only. trying to help our son get his life in order, we offered him the use of the car to drive back and forth to work. he has a license for that. ok, now the question. since he had high risk insurance before on this car, would we be covered if he had an accident driving to or from work? our insurance states that anyone with a valid license can drive the car with our permission. seems to me that the insurance would be good, but i sure don't want to take any chances. if i asked my insurance company, i am sure they would want me to sign a paper stating that i would not allow him to drive any vehicles in the household.

Most auto policies require you to list all licensed drivers in your household at the time of the application. If you did not list your son and he was licensed at the time the app was taken and he has an accident the carrier can deny the claim for "material misrepresentation."

What you reference is a "permissive user" and is meant for non-resident relatives or friends.

Your best bet is to call a retail insurance agent as if you are "shopping around" for insurance and pose the question or call your state's insurance commission.

S

sar48

thank you for responding juan. my son doesn't live with us. he lives in a town about 2 hours away. we went and drove the car back to our home when he got his dui. he is close enough to his work that he can walk or ride a bike. but, his work is opening a new restaurant about 15 minutes away from our home and want him to help train new employees there. that is the reason he would be driving. i'd make him walk or ride a bike there, if it was close enough. he'd more than likely be here for a couple months only, then go back to the town 2 hours away.

I'm not sure what you want. You would be in a gray area. If he maintains an address permanently in the other town, then you can safely argue that he was only visiting if any accident should arise. If he can't afford to keep a place somewhere else while he stays with you then you have a decision to make, between paying the higher premium, taking a chance, driving him to work or he can take the bus.

D

dj1

Why not look int those little tiny motoscooters they are cheap and you see all the chinese people riding on the ...

I think its less the $1000

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">