• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Increase?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazzmaster10708

Connecticut is the place. I was hit by a car that was backing out of its driveway. I was driving down the road and slowed down but the woman continued to back into the street and hit my car. The police came and told me it was her fault, and would state that in the report.
My insurance broker asked me questions like "did you stop?"
He told me to carefully word my report for my insurance claim. He then said my insurance would probably go up, even though it wasn't my fault...because I didn't stop before the accident happened. Is it possible my insurance will go up even though I had the right of way and my insurance company will collect from the other party's insurance company?

Bewildered in CT

Last edited:

tammy8

You could possibly lose your good driving discount or claim free discount. You yourself said that you slowed down, so why didn't you stop? This is called defensive driving.

teflon_jones

Who the police find at fault and who the insurance companies find at fault are two separate things, so you need to wait and see who the insurance companies find at fault. Have you submitted this only to her insurance, or to yours as well?

Lynx 36

Anytime you turn in a claim your insurance COULD go up based on any number of reasons. They will usually run another credit, or MVR check etc. If the accident was not your fault it may help but no guarantee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">