• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Insurance Information Considered Private Information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phenixdragon

I was involved in a accident, well my car was when it rolled down a hill into another one. I just purchased the car so I didn’t technically have insurance on it yet and the claim was denied with the insurance company. Now the damages on their car aren’t very much, maybe about $500 and that’s about what the car is worth.

The problem is this, the person has never once called me about it and instead are talking to my girlfriend’s mom about it wanting to be paid, but they haven’t called me event though they have the information. My g/f’s mom is basically trying to be controlling about the situation, when it has nothing to do with her just she is their neighbor, and went so far to even contact my insurance to discuss the information such as about the accident and this whole thing about why I technically didn’t have insurance. Which that is pretty long as it has to deal with other things too on why I came out not having insurance.

So basically what I am asking, is does she have any right to discuss any information about this? I mean this is my private insurance information which I would think is just as private as my bank account information. I can only see if she was involved in the accident herself she ahs a right to of course talk about getting her car fixed, but not even then should she be allowed to talk about why I turned out to not have insurance on this.

So is this illegal on what she did?

Now my question is, isn’t that illegal? Isn’t my insurance information? I would assume no one has a right to that information besides me and the only time information is given out is if there was a case filed but that only pertains to the person involved and it would only be about the case, not the rest of my information.

And if this is illegal what can I do and what would this be called so I can do something legally about it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

phenixdragon said:
This is more of an issue with pricy but it deals with insurance and I didn’t see a section about pricy so I am posting it here.

Here’s a quick background of the situation. About a month ago I had recently purchased a car which one night it rolled down a hill and into another car and caused some damage. Their car is only worth maybe like $600, maybe $800 tops. No one was in either car when this happened.

So your car decided to roll it's self down the hill with no driver?

They did have a cop show up since no one knew whose car rolled into their car. I technically did have insurance on the car but at the same time I didn’t.

Well that is interesting, and a mind boggler.

My insurance on my other car does cover my new car up to two weeks and I had already called my insurance and left a message to add insurance but they were closed due to the holidays. But what happened is my insurance wanted a large deposit for the new car which I couldn’t afford and switched to another company. So it left this accident with no insurance on it.

Sadly, you are a Moron.

But being that their car isn’t worth much I actually planed to just pay for the damages out of my own pocket which is more then the car but I would have only paid what the car is worth.

So about a month later the people never called me and only called my insurance which of course denied the claim since I technically didn’t have insurance. And because of that they are talking to my girlfriend’s mom about my, which I’m not sure what is said. They are talking about your "MY"? Why would your girlfriend/girlfriends mom************** be involved in a simple roll over with no driver?:rolleyes:

A couple of days ago she decided it was her responsibility to call the insurance company and discuss the information in which she and the insurance company both talked about me refusing to pay a deposit and all my insurance information. Bravo! You could not possibly make more sense.

Now my question is, isn’t that illegal? Isn’t my insurance information? I would assume no one has a right to that information besides me and the only time information is given out is if there was a case filed but that only pertains to the person involved and it would only be about the case, not the rest of my information.

And here I thought you really could NOT make more sense.

And if this is illegal what can I do and what would this be called so I can do something legally about it?

Thanks!

Ohh yes the reason why they keep talking to her is because we were at her house when this happened so they are her neighbor.

Got'cha!

mlk1978

So basically what I am asking, is does she have any right to discuss any information about this? I mean this is my private insurance information which I would think is just as private as my bank account information. I can only see if she was involved in the accident herself she ahs a right to of course talk about getting her car fixed, but not even then should she be allowed to talk about why I turned out to not have insurance on this.
Your girlfriends mother would only have a right to information on your policy if she was also listed on the policy (i.e. additional insured, title owner, lein holder) Tell her to STOP discussing your personal matter with her neighbor. Also tell her to STOP calling your insurance company. Call your insurance company and express your anger to them as well. They are not to discuss limits, billing or anything else will another party unless a) they are listed on the policy as described above or b) they were involved in the accident (but even then they could only talk about the details of the accident and NOT your limits or billing info.

First tell her and your insurance company to stop. This is called invasion of privacy... then call an attorney to see if you have any recourse.

Last edited:

mlk1978

How long did you own the vehicle before the accident? And did they send you a bill for the new car? Unless it is a BRAND NEW POLICY or cancelled/lapsed, they cant force you to come in that day to pay the down payment. But they can send you a bill. You should have 3 days after purchasing a new car before you need to call the insurance company (they do this for the very reason you stated.. a holiday). Although you should always call as soon as possible. You have full coverage for these 3 days. There is coverage for 5 days after than but your coverage is only PLPD. These days may vary by state. You can call the insurance commissioner or another agent to find out the exact amount in your state.

phenixdragon

Thanks for getting back to me.

Well it was more of I didn't want the insurance and I never called my insruance company abotu the acccident. The reason being is their car is worht like $500 or so, so I'm no going to pay an extra $600 a year for the next 3 years on insurance. So basically I told my insurance I didn't want the protection of insurance and that was fine with them. no big deal, the big deal is that these people never called me like I told them, the cop told them, and they said they would. I mean I have the cash which would have been a lot faster then daeling with insurance but they never called.

Now my g/f's mom is just trying to control the situation when again, she has nothing to do with it and she even was telling my girlfriend she was going to tell the police that I didn't actually have insurance which I think is funny because unless I am mistaken, they can't do anything after the fact. But even if they could it is a grey area where it would have been covered if I paid a down them and everything that they wanted.

But I am trying to find out if I can even file criminal and civil charges against her mom so that I can basically shut her up. THis actually goes beyond this where she even trys to control everything about my g/f when she doesn't even live there and is the type who is selfish, manipultive, and only does things to benefit herself. Maybe this would teach her a lesson.

phenixdragon

You Are Guilty said:
On what planet?
Id have to go with earth on this one.

But I also would assume this information is treated as financial information too because it does deal with financial information.

mlk1978

Well it was more of I didn't want the insurance and I never called my insruance company abotu the acccident. The reason being is their car is worht like $500 or so, so I'm no going to pay an extra $600 a year for the next 3 years on insurance. So basically I told my insurance I didn't want the protection of insurance and that was fine with them.
Well actually insurance is a big deal (unless you have ALOT of money). In alot of states it is considered a misdemeanor not to have it, which could mean jail time or a fine. Also, insurance is important incase you were to get into a collision. You are protected in the event of any lawsuit. Instead of denying the insurance, you should have accepted, and then shopped around for a cheaper price. Then cancelled your old policy. Unless the car was supposed to be parked. Was this the case? If so, then there is what is called storage insurance or comprehensive. This way you would have been protected for any comp claim including fire, theft and vandalism.

Now my g/f's mom is just trying to control the situation when again, she has nothing to do with it
Tell her to STOP!

and she even was telling my girlfriend she was going to tell the police that I didn't actually have insurance which I think is funny because unless I am mistaken, they can't do anything after the fact.
If you were driving they can do something about it, if you were not I dont believe there is anything they can do, but I can be wrong. I am curious. How did your car roll down the hill anyway? Did someone hit it? Windstorm?

But even if they could it is a grey area where it would have been covered if I paid a down them and everything that they wanted.
Well be carefull, people can and will try to sue for any reason they can possibly think of. Mental anguish and stuff like that.

But I am trying to find out if I can even file criminal and civil charges against her mom so that I can basically shut her up. THis actually goes beyond this where she even trys to control everything about my g/f when she doesn't even live there and is the type who is selfish, manipultive, and only does things to benefit herself. Maybe this would teach her a lesson.
I cant answer this question for you. But as far as the inquiring and recieving information from your policy part, you should call a lawyer and find out for sure. The insurance contract is between you and them, not your girlfriends mother and them. She has no right inquiring on your personal matters.

When it comes to her prying into your personal life, there isn't anything you can do. Trust me I know how you feel on that one, I have MIL from he&& too. But unless she is maliciously making false comments and accussations to purposly ruin your reputation you wont have grounds to do anything. If you do have proof you may have a case. But anyway, call a lawyer and discuss it further with them. Good Luck!

mlk1978

You Are Guilty said:
On what planet?

This planet. Obviously you are not familiar with insurance and privacy. The company I work for has agents that have lawsuits against them for this type of invasion of privacy. As stated before the insurance contract is an agreement between the insurance company and the insured. The only others that can access the information is leinholders, additional insureds, spouse's (even then companies are reluctant) or another party who has power of attorney. Deductibles CAN be told to others, however terms and limits may not. Speaking to someone who is irrelavent to the accident and/or policy, is not allowed.

do i know u? lol

Your gf's mom sounds EXACTLY like my mom...
anyway...this is just a guess here but...I bet that when it first happened and you offered to pay them $500 dollars they were all happy because they know thats all their car is worth...however somewhere during the next few days they must have found out that they could get more than $500.00 through insurance...so they stopped talking to you so you wouldn't know what was going on...did the police officer hear them agree to the $500 from you? If so that may help otherwise you will probably have to pay them whatever an insurance company would pay them...regardless of what the hunk of junk is worth. You definatly need to stand up to your gf's mother she has absolutly NO business calling your insurance agency asking questions and they should never talk to anyone about your policy but the people who are listed on the policy.
Good Luck

You Are Guilty

mlk1978 said:
This planet. Obviously you are not familiar with insurance and privacy.
Obviously :rolleyes:
The company I work for has agents that have lawsuits against them for this type of invasion of privacy.
Gee, that's nice. Does the poster work for the same company as you? (Oh, he doesn't?)
As stated before the insurance contract is an agreement between the insurance company and the insured.
NO KIDDING!? WOW!
The only others that can access the information is leinholders, additional insureds, spouse's (even then companies are reluctant) or another party who has power of attorney.
Oh really now? Since when do "contracts" become confidential? Ignoring, for the moment, that the poster never bothered to tell us his state, please enlighten the audience by providing one statute or case that says anything even close to your statement.
Deductibles CAN be told to others, however terms and limits may not.
Same request - let's see some proof.
Speaking to someone who is irrelavent to the accident and/or policy, is not alowed.
Again, prove it. :rolleyes:

stephenk

the original poster has failed to tell us what is being discussed with his carrier and the girlfriend's mom. Since he didn't have coverage on the vehicle at the time of the accident, there really isn't much the two can be talking about. Maybe the mom is trying to convince the carrier to cover the accident, since the poster is obviously not doing anything about it.

OP, pay the other party for their property damage and your problems will go away. Sell the car that hit them to pay for the damages since you obviously are too poor to pay for insurance on the car.

outonbail

The reason being is their car is worht like $500 or so, so I'm no going to pay an extra $600 a year for the next 3 years on insurance. So basically I told my insurance I didn't want the protection of insurance and that was fine with them. no big deal, the big deal is that these people never called me like I told them, the cop told them, and they said they would. I mean I have the cash which would have been a lot faster then daeling with insurance but they never called.
Why are you sitting on your a$$ waiting for them to contact you? If it was agreed that you would pay them cash for the value of their vehicle, why didn't you walk to their house, knock on the door and hand them the $$$?

That would have been the path of least resistance and prevented all the drama from being stirred up in the first place!

Is it beyond your reasoning abilities to have come up with this simple solution?

mlk1978

:rolleyes:
You Are Guilty said:
Obviously :rolleyes:

Gee, that's nice. Does the poster work for the same company as you? (Oh, he doesn't?)

NO KIDDING!? WOW!

Oh really now? Since when do "contracts" become confidential? Ignoring, for the moment, that the poster never bothered to tell us his state, please enlighten the audience by providing one statute or case that says anything even close to your statement.

Same request - let's see some proof.

Again, prove it. :rolleyes:

If you were smart which it doesn't seem you are ;) , you would have already tried to do research to determine wether or not my recommendations and/or statements are true. I wont do your work for you. This is a free country go find the answers yourself. My statements and advice are based on fault and no fault states. I hope you feel better about yourself while you sitting here trying to start arguements :rolleyes: . I'm not lowering myself to your level, so you'll have to go at this one alone. Have a great day! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">