• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance lapsed, I was hit - who is at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

Did you miss all of Mo's subsequent postings?

She corrected herself after she researched the statutes.
I'm sorry, I'm just tired of all the little "Snipes" on this site that read your post and nit-pick every little word. When I saw that she was telling me I was wrong I stopped reading and focused on that post. The point I was making was that I was right in my OP and that on private property a vehicle without valid tags can sit legally. It would then fall under the liability portion of the homeowners insurance. Now most homeowner’s policies require that all vehicles be registered so that you have to carry auto insurance on them. They don't want the added liability, but until a problem is discovered by the insurance co, they can't address it!

moburkes

If the owner of the mall says it's ok to park your unregistered uninsured vehicle on their property then it's OK. In this case the OP is renting the property and unless there is a clause in the lease saying she can't then it's OK . If there is a clause in the lease, then it still isn't a legal matter, but becomes a civil matter between the property owner and the tenant! The law that you read is not meant to include a stationary, unregistered, and uninsured vehicle. If that were the case every farmer in Louisiana would be in trouble!
You made a blanket general statement, and now you're adding a qualifier (if she gets permission from the owner of the mall - which is HIGHLY doubtful, in any case) to backtrack.

So, I suppose an owner of a mall can also give a person permission to commit a crime on their property, which now makes that crime a civil matter not a criminal matter.

JustAPal00

You made a blanket general statement, and now you're adding a qualifier (if she gets permission from the owner of the mall - which is HIGHLY doubtful, in any case) to backtrack.

So, I suppose an owner of a mall can also give a person permission to commit a crime on their property, which now makes that crime a civil matter not a criminal matter.
I'm not sure if you're aware of it but parking a car at a mall and parking it in a parking spot that you rent are quite different! You asked about parking an unregistered uninsured car at a mall, so I answered you. That has nothing to do with a crime. A crime is a crime no matter where it is committed, however having an unregistered uninsured vehicle in your yard is not a crime! WOW are you ever confused! I've read some of your other posts, and you are the kind of "Snipe" I was talking about.

moburkes

I'm not sure if you're aware of it but parking a car at a mall and parking it in a parking spot that you rent are quite different! You asked about parking an unregistered uninsured car at a mall, so I answered you. That has nothing to do with a crime. A crime is a crime no matter where it is committed, however having an unregistered uninsured vehicle in your yard is not a crime! WOW are you ever confused! I've read some of your other posts, and you are the kind of "Snipe" I was talking about.
You've proved my point. An unregistered vehicle in your yard IS different than an unregistered vehicle any place else. Your statement was a blanket one that may have been misleading to the OP, so I wanted to clarify it.

JustAPal00

You've proved my point. An unregistered vehicle in your yard IS different than an unregistered vehicle any place else. Your statement was a blanket one that may have been misleading to the OP, so I wanted to clarify it.
The point being what? You made no point! We were posting on the OP's situation, and you said I was incorrect. You were the one that misread the OP’s statement and then started to clarify! You’re the one that ran the risk of confusing the OP when you started talking about her being responsible for the first $10000 of the damage. She wasn’t even in the car, and it was on private property that she rents. Then you start in about committing crimes at malls? I think you need to find some busy work to do around the house, maybe switch over the laundry or something!

moburkes

The point being what? You made no point! We were posting on the OP's situation, and you said I was incorrect. You were the one that misread the OP’s statement and then started to clarify! You’re the one that ran the risk of confusing the OP when you started talking about her being responsible for the first $10000 of the damage. She wasn’t even in the car, and it was on private property that she rents. Then you start in about committing crimes at malls? I think you need to find some busy work to do around the house, maybe switch over the laundry or something!
You know what? Maybe the example of the mall was a bad one.

MY point is that your blanket statement was not correct. Period. It wasn't then, and it isn't now.

JustAPal00

You know what? Maybe the example of the mall was a bad one.

MY point is that your blanket statement was not correct. Period. It wasn't then, and it isn't now.
I made no blanket statement! I made a statement specific to the OP's situation! I'm sorry if you didn't understand.

moburkes

Your car does not need to be insured when it is sitting on private property
Yes, to me, that appeared to be a blanket statement. I am glad that you clarified it. That is ALL I was trying to do - clarify it.

JustAPal00

Yes, to me, that appeared to be a blanket statement. I am glad that you clarified it. That is ALL I was trying to do - clarify it.
There is no clarification needed of that statement. YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSURE A VEHICLE THAT IS SITTING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY! If you wish to register it so that you may drive it on the public roads, then you need to insure it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">