• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance not paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loulou2

What is the name of your state? NC
I have another question about the car wreck my fiance and I had on 12/31. It was the other guys fault, he hasn't contacted his insurance company and the way he was acting I'm fairly sure he's not planning on it. When we called to have an adjuster come by, they said they would do nothing until the other driver called them. My fiance now has a ton of medical bills and needs his car fixed and they are doing nothing. What can we do to get him to contact them or to get them to send an adjuster and take care of things? We called the local police and they said that he is not required to ever contact his insurance company... So why are we required to have car insurance if we aren't required to use it when we cause an accident?

Hoe1979

Call the guy that caused the wreck and present to him the bills that you have collected so far and ask how he would like to handle them. If he says nothing inform your insurance and let them go after the guy for there money back.

loulou2

The officer will not give us his address or phone number. It took a lot of calls just to get him to give us the guy's name so his insurance company could find his policy number since the officer copied it down wrong. I googled him and looked on white pages but he's not on wither.

Hoe1979

Go down to the police station and ask for a police report on the accident. All of the others party information will be on that minus his drivers number. The report will cost you any where from $5 - $20 take fives they only except the correct amount. Some station do except credit card but be ready in case with paper money.

saundra1984

I went to the police report site the officer gave us, there are 76 reports up from the day of our accident and 50 up from the day after but ours isn't up. I called the records department at the police station and they said the officer was still working on it. I'm not entirely sure what this guy is doing. First he gave us an accident report that was completely blank except for the driver's insurance company name, incorrect policy number, and license plate number. He didn't fill in the fields for the Driver's name, phone number, address, vin#, insurance agency phone number, etc. Now he hasn't finished our report that he said would be on the site within 48 hours.

tammy8

Seriously 48 or even 72 hours is NOT a long time to wait for a report. Especially during the busy holiday season.

Why haven't you went ahead and started a claim on YOUR insurance if 3 days is not enough time?

ecmst12

By law, he is not required to contact his insurance company - if he intends to pay for your damages out of his pocket. His contract with his ins co requires him to report all claims & potential claims in a timely manner, but that is of questionable enforceability. Wait for the PR.

VeronicaLodge

I just want to say I'm sorry you are going through this hassle! it sucks. I was hit on Dec 17th and lucky for me the guy admitted fault, gave me all his info, called the police himself to have them come out and make a report. Then he talked to my insurance and admitted fault, and because I have collision and like my insurance and didn't want to wait for his insurance to want to send an adjuster out during Christmas and I didn't want any hassle with his insurance, I am having the work done and submitting it to my insurance and they are getting it from his insurance. I get my car back tomorrow and so far all is going as planned. I count myself lucky.

good luck!

oh, and do you have collision? can you file under your insurance like I did? I have to pay the deductible out but will get reimbursed when his insurance reimburses my insurance.

loulou2

The problem is that not only do we not have the $500 to pay the deductible, but if we file under my fiances insurance, his insurance will go up when the wreck wasn't even his fault. We already talked to his insurance. We've talked about giving him until Monday and by then the police report should be done, then if he hasn't contacted his insurance sending him a certified letter asking him to either contact his insurance company; pay the repair, rental car, ER bill, doctor bill, prescriptions, and pain and suffering himself; or go to court. Does anyone have any advice about composing the letter? I'm only 23 and I've never had to do any of this before and neither has my fiance. I don't want to put anything in the letter that could cost me if we have to take him to court. Another problem I have is I'm not sure how to find a lawyer that we don't have to pay upfront but who won't rip us off.

ecmst12

Please drive more carefully and be aware of your surroundings next time. You would not have been hit if you were an accomplished motor vehicle operator. Thank You!
Who the hell are you and why are you posting when you clearly don't know what you're talking about?

Anyway, OP, your insurance should NOT go up if the accident was not your fault so don't worry about that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pepe is just sore because no-one puts up with his nonsense.

I'm sure he's stamping his feet right about now! :rolleyes:

VeronicaLodge

Please drive more carefully and be aware of your surroundings next time. You would not have been hit if you were an accomplished motor vehicle operator. Thank You!
lol, thanks, I wasn't even moving when someone turned into me. ;) And as you can see in my post, he admitted fault to me, the police officer, my insurance and his. but thanks for your concern ;)

VeronicaLodge

Who the hell are you and why are you posting when you clearly don't know what you're talking about?

Anyway, OP, your insurance should NOT go up if the accident was not your fault so don't worry about that.
yeah I was going to say that too. If you were hit and you file under collision, your insurance will not go up, your insurance will go after the other guys insurance for you. But the deductible part is the hard part to swallow, for me, I had the money to spend upfront and wanted my car in the shop that day getting fixed and didn't want to wait around for the other guys insurance to look at it and blah blah blah during the holidays.

ecmst12

Depending on what insurance company you have, they MAY waive your deductible if the other driver's insurance company accepts liability before your repairs are complete and you have to pay it. Or, they might make you wait until after they actually get a check from the other company. You'd have to ask the claims dept.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">