• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Policy details request from other party's attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loumo44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently involved in a vehicle accident. My insurance company has found this situation to be a 50/50 responsibility claim. The other party has obtain legal representation & are now requesting my insurance coverage information. If I decline this information to them, could I be harming my situation? Am I required to release this information? The other party is claiming "Soft Tissue" injuries. Please provide me some insight to this matter. Thank you. Loumo44

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently involved in a vehicle accident. My insurance company has found this situation to be a 50/50 responsibility claim. The other party has obtain legal representation & are now requesting my insurance coverage information. If I decline this information to them, could I be harming my situation? Am I required to release this information? The other party is claiming "Soft Tissue" injuries. Please provide me some insight to this matter. Thank you. Loumo44
Turn the whole thing over to your insurance company. They will handle it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Release the information and contact your insurance company to defend you.
I (may) disagree on releasing the information. If the information being requested is simply the insurance company name and policy number, then that's fine. However, if the other party is asking for policy limits, etc., then the OP should refuse and simply allow his own insurance to handle it.

ecmst12

Provide them with your insurance company contact info and policy/claim number, and inform your adjuster that the other party has a lawyer and intends to file a claim. If you can get the lawyer's contact info, provide it to your adjuster. Your adjuster will let you know if there's anything else you will need to do.

FlyingRon

Don't know about California, but in many states once a lawsuit is filed, the policy limits are discoverable (and in the case of Florida, for example, obligatory disclosure).

But still, this should be handled through the insurer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Don't know about California, but in many states once a lawsuit is filed, the policy limits are discoverable (and in the case of Florida, for example, obligatory disclosure).

But still, this should be handled through the insurer.
Yes, it is discoverable. But that's not what we're talking about... ;)

ecmst12

It's discoverable if a suit is filed, but that doesn't mean there's any advantage to disclosing the information when it's not legally required to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">